The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Effective Cache'ing (10 posts)

1. digiC
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have browsed around here for the last 2 hours looking for different cahce systems and alot of the threads are unanswered, so I thought I would post a new thread.

Is there an easy Cache'ing system be it plugin or modification, my network is starting to run slowly and I need it to be alot faster.

What Cache systems have you used that are good? I dont really want to have a massive code project on my hands changing files so simple stuff would be best.

2. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

first thing would be to enable the so-called object cache of wpmu, search here.

its just a line like enable_cache=1 or something similar, can't remember it right now.

next thing would be to use/install a php accelerator like eaccelerator ( I use this but there are more out there) this is a server solution, not related to wpmu but it helps.

regarding the unsolved posts you are referring to I guess to wp-cache plugin, which indeed has not been made compatible. I tried several times with different versions and fixes but still can't get it to work (not that I really need it....)

3. gumdrop
    Posted 17 years ago #

Around line 157 in wp-settings
    define('ENABLE_CACHE', true);

4. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Actually, it should go into the wp-config file, so that it isn't overwritten on upgrade.

Add:

on the line after is sets the language, or there abouts.

5. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Depending on how large your site is, make sure you have a bit of available disk space as well.

6. gumdrop
    Posted 17 years ago #

Good thought lunabyte, unless you put other stuff in wp-settings like your my-plugins hack. ;)

7. digiC
    Posted 17 years ago #

Disk space isnt a problem, I have 100GB dedicated to this site, thanks I added the line:
    at the end of wp-config.php and it seems a little faster, If anyone knows is wp-cache works, ill use that.

8. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

i don't really get what ENABLE_CACHE does. I've turned it on in my dev environment, and in the cache folder i can see a directory with an hashed name, itself just containing subdirectories like:
    1:1:bookmark:: 1:1:general:: 1:1:pages:: 1:users::
    1:1:calendar:: 1:1:options:: 1:site-options:: index.php
    1:1:category:: 1:1:page:: 1:userlogins::

each of them with an empty index.php file inside.
    How's that caching anything ? I'm not too sure i get the idea.

9. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

How old's your install? Donncha worked on this a few versions ago. You're looking at a known issue that was fixed a while back.

10. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

my dev env is 1.1.1. Thanks for the heads up.

About this Topic