The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Cant write Page! (10 posts)

1. digiC
    Posted 17 years ago #

I dont know why this error has started but to day all I have done is change the sign up script so it has a link to ToS (not caused error I hope) And upgraded to 1.2 (not sure if it worked) but now when I go to write->write page I dont get the main textbox and I get an error on the right column saying:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /home/5900/domains/isagoodblog.com/html/wp-includes/theme.php on line 59

2. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

this is not "really" related to your upgrade, its just telling you that 8MB of memory for php is too small...
    if you're on shared hosting I fear there is not much yo ucan doo, as I guess you're not allowed to increase your php value inside a .htaccess file and having no control over the php.ini file I see no hope :-)

if you have access to either php.ini or are allowed to set the memory size inside your .htaccess file go ahead and do it.

for more details on the procedure either google or search here it has been discussed, try "php memory" or maybe "php memory size" as search terms.

3. digiC
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks, im on (MT)'s Grid Sever, so have access to PHP.ini, should I add the line:
    memory_limit = 12M
    into it, and is 12 enough?

4. digiC
    Posted 17 years ago #

Also is the amount of themes changing it? I have about 300 running at the moment (im creating a paging plugin and need to test it)

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Donncha was suggesting 32megs. link

6. digiC
    Posted 17 years ago #

I pumped it to:
    memory_limit = 500M

I probably wont actually be getting 500MB but atleast then Im not wasting anything

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Um, I'd only be doing that if it was your server. I agree that you probably won't use it but if you're on a shared host and if your host catches you with that...

8. digiC
    Posted 17 years ago #

im on a grid network and if there isnt any limits set then they obviously shouldnt be such a massive host, its easy to set linux max limits for PHP, MySQL etc

9. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Agreed but they may see it as "excessive" and "taking resources away from other clients."

And you'll learn realy quick in hosting that the larger the host, the more restrictions and limits they have. :)

10. digiC
    Posted 17 years ago #

fine its currently at 128 and when I next boot into linux ill lower it to 64

About this Topic