The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

themes / template ideas needed (10 posts)

1. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

hello,

I need to make a template, maybe only adapt an existing one for a newspaper site.

The newspaper gets printed twice a week, so they want to publish their artcles twice a week online too. they have around 5 categories, like politics, sports, etc. and roughly 5 articles in every category per edition.

I was thinking of displaying inside every category only the posts from the latest edition with a link below: go to last edition ,but I have no clue how to do this.

getting this done somehow would enable a visitor to read all recent articles, then maybe browse back to the last edition to read through.

I am open for any suggestion on how to realize this.

2. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

maybe one could let all categories display only the latest posts from a single (day the last day - so if a day has no posts, display the psots from the last day?),

sorry if I am confusing, I am just trying to come up with a concept for an online newspaper....

3. demonicume
    Posted 17 years ago #

my next iteration will be something like an online newspaper or E-Zine. i searched forever to get ideas. i finally settled on PP. man, i'm beginning to sound like a shill. check out perishable press apathy 2.7. its got a cool multi-loop thing going that i fully intend to jack and make my own in my next upgrade.

you know more about this than i do, so i'll just kick the idea without the specifics. you can divvy up the posts by category and set the show to '1'. then set another loop directly beneath it to display the next 3 titles with 'more'. the theme comes with two plugins that do all the work for you - or for me, because if i had to code it myself, i might never get done.

Customizable Post Listings - Display Recent Posts, Recently Commented Posts, Recently Modified Posts, Random Posts, and other post listings using the post information of your choosing in an easily customizable manner. You can narrow post searches by specifying categories and/or authors, among other things.

also check out The_excerpt Reloaded - is a mod of WPs function.

i hope that helps. i also hope that if your designs rocks harder than mine, you'll share how you did it.

peace

4. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

ok, I went to that site and am currently checking out the apathy theme.

still I want to point out that I don't know that much, I am still trying to figure out what practical reason/purpose there is behind using multiple loops? I just can't figure out what its good for :-)

5. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

also I found another suitable theme, but I am curious how I can make the layout like this:

the newspaper has 6 categories and I want to show a featured article from each category on the frontpage.

how to achieve this?

6. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

this is the only reason i'm messing with the multiple loops. Per Press's tutorial shows how to use their two plugins and multiple loops to do something like this. Another guy, JMF, did this using category lists instead of my miniloop idea. i'm impressed with what he's done and i'm rethinking my idea in total. *sigh*
    check out the Customizable Post Listings plugin

like i said, i'm doing something very similar and i was gonna use multiple loops, then set them to only show 1 post ata time.

7. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

thx for exchanging ideas. very enlightening. I'll have to ponder and think a little more on the subject....

###edit###
    actually here is a better explanation of what I want to do - show a certain selectable article from each category on the frontpage. i.e. the newspaper has 5 categories, one author is responsible for each category, so I want each author to be able to select which article he wants on the frontpage - how could I do this? I thought about putting teh features article from each category into a special category, but this is not good because it would mix articles from different categories and I couldn't just show the latest 5 (=number of categories) so right now I am completely confused...

anyone got a sane idea how to realize a newspaper style site, and having one featured article from each category "selected" to show on the frontpage and all other articles accessable from the categories menue?

8. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

found the perfect plugin: http://www.dagondesign.com/articles/latest-post-from-each-category-plugin-for-wordpress/

does exactly what I was looking for, going to try it today :-)

9. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

great find, thats a great plugin. you and i are along the same lines excepting my users wont be controlling what goes where on the front page of the site. to use that plugin and have it affect the front page (without hacking it), will your arthors be contributors on the main site rather than regular bloggers? then you'll be using category views as the individual category pages... say youre displaying the post in the category 'Hacks', when someone clicks the category, they'll be taken to a category view... do i have that right?

personally, i wont have 5 or 6 dedicated postes. i was gonna combine the mini-loop idea with the Deltakid/Suelman global categories hack to display articles from the entire site.

any more ideas, anyone?

10. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

:-) thx for your help so far, but I guess our search will go separate ways from here as you misunderstood me.

I am not looking to build this thing on wpmu!

I just asked a simple theme / template question in the Themes and Templates category as I know our members around here are very helpful and resourceful, which you proved by guiding me in the right direction.

Again, my questions were of general nature refering only to a theme and how to do what I asked above, but had nothing to do with wpmu.

About this Topic