The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Hosting for Wordpress MU (30 posts)

1. srcsinc
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi All,

I am new to Wordpress MU. Please let me know about
    good hosting service to install Wordpress MU.

If you already installed WordPress MU, and running
    fine. Let me know the hosting server name.

Thanks for help.

Regards,
    Ramesh

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I like Pat over at http://synhosting.com Haven't had any issue.

I think Andrew, one of the regulars here, offers hosting as well. You may want to look through the MISC subforum.

3. nolageek
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm using asmallorange.com and really like them. They've been really great, going out of their way to configure the server so that wordpressMU will word. I had a few problems, but they've really been great.

Although I would recommend them for other sites, TotalChoiceHosting.com does not play well with Wordpress MU. For other sites, I love them. (Been hosting my regular wordpress sites there for years.)

4. srcsinc
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi drmike /nolageek,

Thanks for the reply

Can you let me know, what is the plan you have selected.

Nolageek, It look like small orage space limit is less

Thanks,
    Ramesh

5. peaceguide
    Posted 17 years ago #

I use http://www.path-seeker.com - you can't use subdomains like herbguy.sitename.com but it's not necessary for my users. They are involved in the Christian and Spiritual community so I feel great about giving them business plus they are really inexpensive.

6. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

I like a small orange or media temple for a non-dedicated environment.

For a dedicated environment Server Beach is the way to go.

@srcsinc...

Don't believe everything you read. If someone offers the moon for $5, run away.

I literally saw a company offering 250GB of space, and 2.5TB (yes, terabytes as in 2500GB) of bandwidth for $6.95.

Why? They know you won't use it. If you tried, they'd shut you down for abuse of resources or some other BS excuse.

When it comes to running MU, going "cheap" isn't the thing to do.

7. nolageek
    Posted 17 years ago #

srcinc: well, space isn't really a concern with wordpress sites like this... I mean, the wordpress install is what, 3-4mb? Other than that it's all about the database. Perhaps if your users are using tons of photos... but that's not really an issue unless you have a bazzilion users - in that case, you'd need to spend more on a dedicated hosting plan anyway - which asmallorange has.

8. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

The database is where space is going to be quickly taken up.

9. nolageek
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, it depends on the size of the site. What I meant was, if you're looking for cheap hosting - and you're site reaches a point where you're running out of room - you probably will need dedicated servers for other reason beyond space.

10. kishorebudha
    Posted 17 years ago #

asmallorange is good -- though not competitive in terms of pricing (but that might mean that their pricing is realistic). i use a shared hosting and noted that the machine my site is on hosts some 15000 other sites. i had some issues with server timeouts -- most probably the result of one of the sites. if you have the money go for VPS.

11. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yes, their pricing is realistic. Unfortunately, there are so many hosts out there that overcrowd their boxes, offer more than what they know you will use (and thus oversell what they can actually hold on a box), and make it seem like a good deal.

ASO is good, MT is good, and for dedicated servers I haven't found anything better than Server Beach.

For an inexpensive VDS/VPS, jumpline isn't bad. They do tend to crowd a bit, but nothing like 15,000 on a box. That's just ridiculous.

12. peaceguide
    Posted 17 years ago #

I agree you have to be watchful. This is why I wanted to let all know I have found a very inexpensive and reliable host with path-seeker. I have been using them for nearly 2 years now. A++

13. peaceguide
    Posted 17 years ago #

I got a little curious. asmallorange's virtual private servers start at $50 for 10GB disk space • 150GB bandwidth

with path-seeker you get 10GB disk space • 500GB bandwidth for $36!

If your concerned with performance id much rather have the 500GB for $14 less! Plus you get to manage your domain names (which are also the cheapest ive found) in the same place.

Man now I really like these guys!

14. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

with path-seeker you get 10GB disk space • 500GB bandwidth for $36!

Use that much bandwidth and I'll bet they'll be finding some reason to get you out of there. Some server farms, that's the entire amount of bandwidth for a box for the month.

15. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

You get what you pay for ;)

16. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

*chuckle* I wish I could get 500gb for $36 a month. Paying just under 10 grand for 3 gig lines, and 2 of them are still under market pricing. (They were lines that got cancelled by other clients.)

17. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Doc, James... exactly.

It's a terrible trend in the hosting business, really.

Offer whatever you want, because you know that 99% of the sites that sign up will only use about 500Mb and 5G of bandwidth a month. IF that.

Space is more on the average of 200Mb, actually.

Sure there are exceptions, of course, but averaged over all sites for whatever purpose and not just MU.

If someone "breaks the norm", they just shut em off for whatever BS reason they can come up with.

Yeah, you'll find people that have whoever, and will say they haven't had any problems. But I'd bet that their site falls in the norm, too.

18. selad
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm on site5 and having no real issues with them.

I use about 10GB of my 15GB and about 60GB of bandwidth.

19. mok123
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi,
    I am running mu wordpress on my server and i have enough space. If anyone is interested on hosting his mu wordpress on my server, i can do it and configure it as well.
    my email elkmok@yahoo.fr

20. heyguy
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've got a dedicated box for friends and a few clients. I have tons of room on it if you want to talk. There are two small wpmu sites running on it already, so setup and configuration shouldn't be an issue.

Drop me a note at swhguy [ at ] gmail.com if you're interested.

21. hitnews
    Posted 17 years ago #

http://www.newspartner.net and My special server. hosting http://www.orfox.net .Hosting open vcard and subdomains settins for Wordpress Mu

22. bmonster99
    Posted 17 years ago #

I am running wpmu on a dedicated server at liquidweb.com along with over 20 other sites. I can not recommend them highly enough. It is the best hosting experience I have ever had. Best tech support ever too.

23. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Space and bandwidth are almost irrelevant - what MU uses up the most is memory.
    Look for how much RAM your account can access.

24. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I think wordpress in general is getting that way. The support forums for wp have a large number of memory issues and errors coming out of PHP.

And where have you been, Andrea?

25. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Recovering from major surgery. :)

Does a number on my brain too, hence the absence here. I haven't been able to handle much more than posting to my blog. (click on my name for the details)

26. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oucha, glad you're OK & good to hear from ya.

27. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well it would have been nice to know a head of time. We could have sent you flowers. :)

28. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Who's that Andrea character, anyway? :D

A smell a spy! :P

Bah, I'd have sent cookies. ;)

29. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Aw... *sniffs* Now I feel all special-like (and almost kinda near better). Tell ya what - you can send a bouquet of cookies. I may be missing some girly parts, but I can still eat and (hopefully eventually) code.

(and all the fanboys get squicked out by girly-bit reference. Sigh. Also? Cancer sucks! But living is better - there's too many unwritten plugins to code.)

30. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Glad to hear you're turning out OK.

:)

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by srcsinc
  • Latest reply from lunabyte