The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Spam Karma 2.0 (or any other anti-spam plug-in) (56 posts)

1. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

No, I mean there's all these options that may leave folks in shock as to what they should change if anything.

Sort of like letting a grandmother behind the wheel of an 18-wheeler.

2. XIII
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks, now I have bits of pizza all over my keyboard.

3. amanzi
    Posted 17 years ago #

If I recall, there isn't anything in the menus that requires editing after installation, or am I wrong?? I thought the options were just if you needed to tweak it a bit or send out email alerts?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Eh, I have socer moms all over my site. (I could be considered one although I have never been to a soccer game - oh wait, once - and I sure don't wear a twin set & pearls. Snort.)

I tell them to activate it, click the link and DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING. :D

Also, I warn 'em it looks scary but does the job. If they are really... uh... hmmm... (how to say this nicely) inexperienced and worried, I just go turn it on for them.

The default settings have been working awful nice.

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm removing big chunks out of the code as we speak. :)

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Removing it completely, or just setting it so it doesn't display in the admin panel? :D

(man, where's that evil grin smiley when I need it?)

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Nah, the news and the begging for money. I would like to leave them in there but with me promoting a free service, that makes it confusing.

I also want to rewrite the footer code as well and actually put it in the footer instead of along the bottom.

I'll probably go the way you suggest and tell folks just to visit the page to activate it and then to leave it alone.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Actually, taking those bits out is a really good idea. There was a few weeks back there was some big window of news and it confused me for a second (which, admittedly, is not hard to do...)

9. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ugh, sorry to not post this in anothe rthread, but I'm getting warning"headers alreayd sent out errors whenever SK@ tries to kick in the captcha. It's apparently conflicting with wpmu-functions.php. Has anyone else encountered this?

10. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Someone bump this in a coupel of hours. I'll try to take a look at it this weekend or Monday.

11. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

I had a good whack at this code on the weekend...

Problems I wanted solved for SK2 were
    1. Allow no access to the control panel by users (it works fine without tweeks and its confusing to most people)
    2. Put it in wpmu-plugins
    3. Change it so you don't have to click into it to get it going. (ie: no "click here to setup SK2")

To solve the user access I simply used is_site_admin() to determine when to show the SK2 menus. If you're not admin, you don't see the menus.

To put it in wpmu-plugins I used the method noted by mypatricks earlier in this thread. I just went through and changed all the references.

The other part was harder but with a lot of sifting through the code I was able to put together a new function that would set things up the first time the site is loaded, not just the admin page, but the site's main page.

I had to remove some warning messages which are passed out by the program because of the way the functions are called, but everything does appear to be in order.

It will definitely need some testing. But it looks like it will pass all the tests.

One upside is that you can adjust the standard settings in the files and only if you go in and mess with the settings in someone's blog will things change. (I turned off the daily report and turned on the purge of the spam list)

It's late and I will put the code on wpmudev.org as soon as I get a chance, perhaps in a day or two, or three.

12. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I wonder if you added in the table creation stuff to wp-include/wpmu-function.php where the blog gets created if that would work. I've been meaning to try that with my stat program as I'm still having to preload the tables for that.

13. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just as I thought, there are issues that have been caused...

any references that have sitename.tld/blah/blah/wp-admin/edit.php?page=spamkarma... will not work. The email that informs you of a comment has a reference like this in it.

This has to do with the is_site_admin() only letting admin view these pages.

It know the standard wordpress comments options are available. Perhaps making all references for delete/spam/unapprove/approve point to the standard wordpress ones will work. I "think" that they would still work.

Any other ideas?????

drmike: I see what you mean, hook it into the wpmu-functions for when a blog is created. What is the hook for the do_action()?

14. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Not a clue I'm sorry to say. Never done a WP plugin before.

15. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have uploaded "Spam Karma 2 for WPMU" to WPMUDEV.

Download it and extract it to the mu-plugins folder. It should work right away, but I have not done extensive testing.

16. XIII
    Posted 17 years ago #

And just as we started to get the first spam... life is good.
    Thanks pumpkinslayer!

17. mypatricks
    Posted 17 years ago #

Spam Karma is excellent plugin for independent blog. I wonder it may increase the sql table/table when you got thoudsand thoudsand blog.
    is it possible to reduce the sql table?

18. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

mypatricks:

Spam Karma does add tables and will increase the number of tables per blog. The number of tables could possibly be reduced, but not without expertise that I don't have :)

If the information needs a new table, then so be it, if it didn't it would put more information in an existing table. I don't know if their is a speed advantage to fewer large tables or many smaller tables.

There are a lot of tables, but does it matter? (If it does, I'd like to know, because I don't) And besides this is the easiest for me to come up with.

19. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

pumpkinslayer, I am definitely going to try this out.

The number of tables has been addressed multiple times.

20. ColinFilmJournal
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm getting this on the Approved Comments page:

Failed to purge comment spam entries.
    Query: DELETE wp_1_comments, wp_1_sk2_spams FROM wp_1_comments LEFT JOIN wp_1_sk2_spams ON wp_1_sk2_spams.comment_ID = wp_1_comments.comment_ID WHERE (wp_1_comments.comment_approved = '0' OR wp_1_comments.comment_approved = 'spam') AND wp_1_comments.comment_date_gmt < DATE_SUB('2006-08-11 08:58:20', INTERVAL 30 DAY)
    SQL error: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'wp_1_comments, wp_1_sk2_spams FROM wp_1_comments LEFT JOIN wp_1_sk2_spams`' at line 1

21. ColinFilmJournal
    Posted 17 years ago #

Also getting loads of this in the logs:

79 5 Plugin Simple Digest: peter.westwood@ftwr.co.uk. is registered with both filter and treatment set to false. It probably won't do anything: please contact plugin author. sk2_pjw_simpledigest
    0 minutes

2006-08-11 10:05:23

Not got that plugin installed - any ideas?

22. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Could you check to see if those tables exist please. Sounds like SK2 didn't get run when the blog was created though. Just view the page again and the errors should go away. (Just happened on a new theme demo blog this morning to me.)

Simple Digest is, I believe, part of the SK2 install as a plugin for SK2.

23. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

SK2 is a bundle of plugins that work together. That is one of the plugins, which I disabled, but it still looks for it. I expect that to be there, but it's just a warning.

Yes, please check that the tables are there, instead of running the SK2 admin page once at the beginning, you need to view the site in a browser to create the tables and stuff.

ToDo (suggestion by drmike): Get the tables created during the blog creation process...

BTW ColinFilmJournal: You shouldn't be able to view the "Approved Comments" page unless you are the site-admin anyway. Therefore users would never see this warning.

24. Misera
    Posted 17 years ago #

Working great :) Even killing the already existing spam~! yay

25. ColinFilmJournal
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yup - seems to be working better now. Just a few teething glitches :)

26. Oolong
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm getting something very similar on the Approved Comments page, or when I click Purge Comment Spams:

Failed to purge comment spam entries.
    Query: DELETE wp_comments, wp_sk2_spams FROM wp_comments LEFT JOIN wp_sk2_spams ON wp_sk2_spams.comment_ID = wp_comments.comment_ID WHERE (wp_comments.comment_approved = '0' OR wp_comments.comment_approved = 'spam') AND wp_comments.comment_date_gmt < DATE_SUB('2006-10-30 19:19:47', INTERVAL 1 DAY)
    SQL error: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'wp_comments, wp_sk2_spams FROM wp_comments LEFT JOIN wp_sk2_spams ON wp_' at line 1

The tables in question certainly seem to exist - and wp_sk2_spams has 4,328 entries! Any more suggestions?

About this Topic

• Started 18 years ago by rezilient
  • Latest reply from Oolong