The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

customising the dashboard and changing the "home" page (5 posts)

1. Acapulco
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help...

I've two queries:

1. Dashboard customisation:
    Is anyone aware of how to get to/modify the dashboard .php code in WordPressmu (1.2.1) in order to remove the developer news and planet news sections

I've been using Aaron Dowden's "Dashboard Editor" (http:/anthologyoi.com/plugins) widget on Wordpress (2.1.3) and it works as designed

Unfortunately, it does not work with Wordpressmu though as it's dasboard config screen is not drawn correctly

Any ideas?

2. Changing the default "home page"
    How would I go about configuring WordPressmu (1.2.1) so that the first page presented after a user logs in is the "view site" page rather than the dashboard?

Kind regards

2. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

1) Edit the file involved. Either remove the divs out of the wp-admin/index.php file or the coding out of the wp-admin/index-extras.php file.

2) It's doable but how do you deside which home page to go to? I have clients with 10 blogs who sign up on the main site's home page.

3. Acapulco
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks drmike,

re:

1) thanks for this i'll try it out on my development instance.

2) good point. My thoughts are to direct all users to the "admin" home page on initial login. We'll set-up some general information there and use it as a landing page

As an aside, I'm implementing Wordpressmu at a relatively large telecoms FTSE100 company in the UK.

We have around 6000 employees in the UK and more overseas, but I'm planning on rollling this out as a limited pilot to just a few hundred initially.

Our plan is to perform some structured load testing in the next few weeks, so it will be interesting to see how our infrastructure holds up!

I'll be doing some research into MySQL optimisation as I can see this being a potential performance bottleneck, although looking at the way in which a WPMU tables are structured for each blog user, this may in fact not be an issue. I'm sure there'll be help on the forums!

Thanks for your help drmike!

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

.. For # 2..

Why not just customize the Dashboard in the admin area? That would be easiest, really. Then, no matter where they end up in the back, it initially on a dashboard. So, by customizing that, they get the info presented that you want.

5. Acapulco
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks lunabyte....another good option!

Thanks again

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by Acapulco
  • Latest reply from Acapulco