The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Backup single blog and restore? (7 posts)

1. skcsknathan001
    Posted 16 years ago #

How to Backup single blog and restore?

I know you can export the blog as xml file and then restore.

But I would like to backup all blogs in wpmu and when a user requests, I should be able to restore just that user's blog. Is there a plugin or someway [in CPANEL] to do like this?

2. kingler
    Posted 16 years ago #

nope. not yet. Someone still needs to code this.

But I think XML backup is cleaner for the enduser. The feature you mentioned would make things easier just for the administrators.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

IF you're backing up the databse, you can scroll throguh the dump (pr parts of it) to find the blog in question and restore (via SQL) just that blog.

So, yes it can be done, just not in an easy-non scary way.

As for the XML backup, it's good for some users. I really would like to see an *easily readable* backup - like the one from MovableType, whch is one of the very few things I liked about it. Figuring out how to do that is on my list, about halfway down. :D

4. skcsknathan001
    Posted 16 years ago #

Great idea,

So if I'm just restoring for a specific blog from the database backup what is the necessary steps?

Just copy and paste all [SQL] codes associated to that blog_id in phpMyAdmin and execute?
    What about the general tables? [wp_blogs, wp_sitemeta, wp_usermeta, & etc.]

Is there way to restore only that blog's files, which were uploaded by the user earlier?

5. eilohn
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm stack with restoring big sql database. Someone ple help me.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

See if you can get it one in a text editor and chunk it in two first.

Then divide each again.

7. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

Lighthearted response:
    Get yourself a Mac, CocoaMySQL and Textmate.
    Open the backup sql file in Textmate. Select the part of the sql you want to run. Click on the Textmate menu, choose services->CocoaMySQL->Perform selection as MySQL query.
    Choose the database and server (if you are not already connected to the right one), smile smugly to yourself, go make a coffee.

Seriously though, you need a half-decent editor to load backup files above a certain size as otherwise it could bring your computer to it's knees. Any "programming" style editors (such as Textmate, Eclipse, etc) should be able to handle v. large files and then it is just a matter of splitting out a particular blogs tables.

If you are consistently getting very big backup files though, it may be worth considering splitting your database into smaller ones and backing each up separately.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by skcsknathan001
  • Latest reply from cafespain