The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Your advice please. (9 posts)

1. Success
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am looking for a solution where I can manage different blogs, each using a separate domain and separate database.

May I have your advice?

I have looked at:

WordPress MU
    Lyceum
    Movable Type
    Expression Engine

2. heyguy
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm guessing that you would mostly get recommendations for WordPress Mu in these forums....

3. tene
    Posted 16 years ago #

Wordpress itself is better for this purpose than WPMU. Head over to wordpress.org and download. Separate domain, separate database for each client is very easy.

4. Success
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is there a way for 1 installation of wordpress to manage multiple blogs, all using separate domains and databases?

The main reason I am asking this is I will be managing multiple blogs.

So I can upgrade all blogs easily whenever there is a new WP update.

5. tene
    Posted 16 years ago #

Depends on your definition of separate. Wordpress MU has mutliple blogs in the one physical MySQL database. Each blog has its own set of tables (wp_1_posts, wp_2_posts etc), equivalent to the tables used in Wordpress.

Each blog within a WPMU install can have its own domain (see wp_sites table), and if you look at wordpress.com you can see this in action. The solution documentation can be found via a thorough search of this forum, particularly for 'domains'. Its not exactly simple, so be prepared to dig.

6. Success
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thank you.

With WPMU, can each blog use a separate database by itself?

Any comment on Movable Type, especially the enterprise version?

7. heyguy
    Posted 16 years ago #

To quote tene:

"Wordpress MU has mutliple blogs in the one physical MySQL database."

If you want individual databases use regular WordPress.

8. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Instead, why not simply use WordPress, using my multiple domain hack instead. While I used an example with multiple domains, a domain is a domain. Whether it's a sub-domain or whatever.

9. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Just for reference, Lyceum uses only one set of tables within a single database, no matter how may blogs you wind up with.

About this Topic