The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

admin blog layout/disable blog create (11 posts)

1. vant
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi
    I've just installed and it looks to be running fine. I'm using MU because image links are included in the feed, not because I need multiple users (for the minute). So what I'd like to do is disable blog creation and change the default admin blog top unto a regular blog layout showing a list of posts, categories etc. Can I do this, or would I be better off leaving it as it is and creating a spearate blog to use?

Thanks
    Mark

2. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

When you are logged in as admin, just select a new theme for your site. Make sure you don't have a link to create a new account in your theme.

There are several ways to disable blog creation, but one simple way is to limit the email domains that can create blogs (In you site admin) to just your own email domain...if you have your own domain. Or, if you don't have your own, then you could probably just use some nonexistent random series of letters/numbers for a domain like: wjud763hbndoof9373gndo04ruh3.iii777666.tv

Of course, if you wanted, you could also go in and disable wp-signup.php as well...not sure, but I don't think there would be any negative side effects from doing that.

Steve

3. vant
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi Steve. Thanks.
    That worked perfectly.

Mark

4. vant
    Posted 16 years ago #

Steve, how do I return the theme back to the default admin blog top?! It doesn't appear in the Themes options, and I can't see anything in Theme Admin either.

Thanks
    Mark

5. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

It should be there. There are two themes in your theme directory based on Kubrick (one is default and one is home). The home (and it may be called something else in your list) is the one you want to select for the default front-page of mu. You need to make sure it's enabled in Site/Admin before you will be able to select it in Presentation tab.

If you don't want this theme available to others, then enable it in site/admin, select it for your site in Presentation, then disable it in site admin again.

6. vant
    Posted 16 years ago #

Strange. In SiteAdmin under Themes, all of them are turned on - WordPress Classic, WordPress mu Default, WordPress Default. The 'home' theme is WordPress mu Default? Because the image is the same as WordPress Default. I have WordPress mu Default activated, but my top page is not the original I remember, the one with the sign up/login in the centre. It's the regular post list.

What could it be? Oh, hang on. I did attempt an install of the Japanese pack, and I think it included themes. Perhaps the Japanese pack doesn't give me that original theme?

Thanks
    Mark

7. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

You may have overwritten the original default with the other pack.

Yes, the two defaults are confusing...I opened the css file in the mu default (the one with home.php) and renamed it so I could clearly identify the one I use as my site theme. I set it as my site theme and then disabled it so users can't select it as their theme.

8. vant
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks. That was it. I'd overwritten en.js. Replaced it with the original install version and I got my default page back.

Thanks for the help.
    Mark

9. darioshanghai
    Posted 16 years ago #

EASY/FAST/ELEGANT SOLUTION:
    in the signup page find this piece of code

<?php if( $active_signup == 'blog' ) { ?>

<input id="signupblog" type="hidden" name="signup_for" value="blog" />

<?php } elseif( $active_signup == 'user' ) { ?>

<input id="signupblog" type="hidden" name="signup_for" value="user" />

<?php } else { ?>

<input id="signupblog" type="radio" name="signup_for" value="blog" <?php echo $signup[ 'blog' ] ?> />

<label for="signupblog"><?php _e('Gimme a blog!') ?></label>

<br />

<input id="signupuser" type="radio" name="signup_for" value="user" <?php echo $signup[ 'user' ] ?> />

<label for="signupuser"><?php _e('Just a username, please.') ?></label>

<?php } ?>

Erase/comment everything but the following line:
    <input id="signupblog" type="hidden" name="signup_for" value="user" />

This way only non bloggers users can subscribe.

10. MPM
    Posted 16 years ago #

can anyone verify that this last post works and is okay to disable random users from creating blogs? You can still create blogs from admin ok?

11. ladynada
    Posted 16 years ago #

yes I would like to know the same thing. I hacked mine a little but someone was able to make a blog (I had invited him so it was okay)

nada

About this Topic