The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

First blog works great - subesequent ones, not so much (5 posts)

1. fflanders
    Posted 16 years ago #

So, I set up Worpress MU, and the first blog worked gloriously. Adding more blogs, though, doesn't work so well. I've checked through the database errors, the wpmu-functions.php patch, applied the suggested fixes and...

The reported errors go away. But the problems remain. When adding a new blog with vhosts enabled, my browser returns an "unknown host" page. When vhosts is disabled, Wordpress returns a 404, but with the make of the blog that's supposed to be there in the footer.

I have been backwards and forwards through this forum and others, I've called my WSP to make sure that mod_rewrite is installed (it is, and it's active), and using the single-user version of wordpress worked beautifully. I can't find anything in the documentation that begins to hint that this is a problem other people have encountered before. Can anyone here offer any advice for something I might have overlooked - either in setting up Wordpress MU or in my description of the sordid affair here?

Any help would be greatly apprecaited!

2. kingler
    Posted 16 years ago #

vhost installation of WPMU requires wildcard DNS setup. Are you sure it is correctly setup?

3. fflanders
    Posted 16 years ago #

No, I don't, which is why I turned off vhosts. I'm still getting a 404 on it with vhosts turned off. You can see the result of adding a blog with vhosts turned off here:
    http://jdsawyer.net/testblog/wp-admin/

And to answer your next question - no, it didn't put anything at all in the directory - it didn't even create the directory itself. It seems only to have put the entry in the admin panel.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

It doesn't create directories for each blog. They are virtual.

5. fflanders
    Posted 16 years ago #

Either way, I'm pulling 404s every time. I'm not even sure what questions are left to ask of this bloody thing.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by fflanders
  • Latest reply from fflanders