The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

class being stripped out of 1.2.2? (50 posts)

1. GregM
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi lunabyte,

Maybe you didn't read all of my comment before quoting it, and so you didn't notice that I wasn't saying anything at all about "how they run things". I certainly wasn't trying to subject anyone to "bitching and repeated discussion"; were you?

Despite your warm welcome for my efforts at offering a constructive point of view, not to mention one or two URLs that WordPress developers might actually find useful, where they can find the efforts of other people who have already contributed fixes to kses.php, I hope it isn't too 'pointless' to discuss the actual technical details of the security issue at hand?

Or is discussing such technical details something that just isn't "how we run things" around here?

Baffledly yours,
    Greg

p.s. Your interest in "the way it is" wouldn't happen to have anything to do with your commercial interest in selling "WPMUDEV Premium" at $250 per year, your service for delivering custom capabilities for WPMU installations, would it? Like, say, a custom capability to support end-user styling that was stripped out of 1.2.3? Just wondering, as I don't very often experience such a hostile reception in return for trying to add something useful to a discussion...

2. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Gotta admit that any discussion on kses is more for wp-hackers. The wordpress devleopers don't hang out here or really in the wp forums either.

best bet would be to take it to the mail list.

Not trying to pass you by. (although I'm sure someone will probably throw me an insult or two) Just trying to get you pointed in the right direction.

edit: There has been a fair amount of previous discussion on the topic as well.

3. GregM
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hey drmike(temp!),

No problem -- I appreciate it. I just found it odd how two different discussions specific to this problem were going on (not discussions about kses.php in general, which have gone on for years), but then suddenly when I point out a couple of fairly basic points, it's wham!, "bitching and repeated discussion".

You yourself have mentioned that feeling of being sniped at a few times on this forum and the main one, and boy do I hear you -- remind me to think twice before offering an opinion that might undermine "the way we do things"...especially if it has anything to do with the hallowed ground of security. Apparently, it's part of "the way we do things" for some folks to stop by and say "it's a security issue!", but not for someone else to say "hmmm...is it?" Go figure.

All the best,
    Greg

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

"p.s. Your interest in "the way it is" wouldn't happen to have anything to do with your commercial interest in selling "WPMUDEV Premium" at $250 per year, your service for delivering custom capabilities for WPMU installations, would it? Like, say, a custom capability to support end-user styling that was stripped out of 1.2.3? Just wondering, as I don't very often experience such a hostile reception in return for trying to add something useful to a discussion..."

For your information, before you go off an make accusations, I do not run, nor am I affiliated in any way with WPMUDEV (Premium or Standard).

I wasn't being hostile, but believe me I can be if I feel the need.

My point, is that the rambling on about this is pointless. The developer in charge of this, Donncha, made the point clear over a month ago that the position of those in charge is that it is a security issue, and will remain the way it is.

IF they change their mind at some point, fine. But dragging it out is utterly useless. They got the point the first go around that it ticked some people off. The way around it is simple. Customize. Hell, it's REALLY easy if you want, just drop a new file in its place. Either from the main WP trunk, or from a previous version of MU before it was changed.

Maybe it isn't you personally, but it seems that every week someone rolls in wanting to change the world, and then we end up rehashing shit that has been already beaten to a bloody pulp multiple times. Which, takes away time and interest from real issues at hand, and provides no forward progress.

So there you have it.

5. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

but it seems that every week someone rolls in wanting to change the world, and then we end up rehashing shit that has been already beaten to a bloody pulp multiple times.

You get that in all support forums. wp.com was big on that. "iframes are not a security risk", "embeds are not a security risk", etc. They leave a single post, usually within a thread where it's covered in detail previously and we never see them again.

wp.com was big on those. Lots of trolls. (No offense intended. I haven't read this thread.)

edit: And when we point them to the previous discussion or a search result, we get called rude. Lots of fun.

6. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

edit: And when we point them to the previous discussion or a search result, we get called rude. Lots of fun.

Disagree. You get called rude for being rude. I have read this thread and it was a reasonable discussion until Lunabyte turned it negative....all you need to do is read the thread to see it. Nothing personal here...just pointing out a fact.

Steve

7. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Disagree.

Well that's your opinion and you are free to make it.

You get called rude for being rude.

OK then. You're being rude. Please stop it. Seriously.

Just pointing out a fact of course.

Folks, this is a support forum for WordPress Multiuser. Can we please stop the bitching at each other and try to help folks? This constant bitching is doing nothing to help folks around here and Steve you're just making it worse.

8. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

And, just for reference, I just read the thread. I see a fair amount of rudeness here, not just Luna.

This really is an issue for wp-hackers as it's deals with a core issue with WordPress.

Can we please move on now?

9. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

The fact is, luna posted the first personal attack and people reacted...that's normal.

I know you are not going to like this, but it is my perception, that there has been a pattern of you and luna following each other around here in the forums, and blindly supporting each others negativity...just like in the thread below:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=5557&page&replies=26

I think we are making progress though because I and a few others have decided to point out the problem. When you point out negativity, you sometimes are viewed as being negative...I'm sure you view it that way and I can understand that.

So, to answer your question:

"Can we please stop the bitching at each other and try to help folks?"

I say yes. I'm very willing to do this...I'll let you lead the way and I'll follow your lead. I have nothing against you or luna personally and I think we could learn and help each other, and a lot of other people, but it needs to be in a positive, mutually respectful manner.

Steve

10. GregM
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hey folks,

That was my mistake, lunabyte, thinking you had some interest in the nascent commercialization of WPMU support -- I apologize for suggesting otherwise.

With regard to the original point of this thread, which had been going on (along with another thread on the same topic) for more than a month before I offered anything on it, I've already written to Donncha separately with links on how to fix the existing bugs in kses.php and with notes on the security non-issue.

Personally, I think it's a shame it seems to have become such an unwelcome topic for discussion here. I imagine some people might have actually wanted to understand a bit more about the current state of affairs with regard to their WPMU installations and how they might improve them. But life's too short -- I'll just leave it to the devs.

All the best,
    Greg

11. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

The fact is, luna posted the first personal attack

That's not true. Conoro made the first attack and demanded a change in the software after being presented a solution. Please reread the thread.

I say yes. I'm very willing to do this...

And yet you then go again and attack me in the every same post. This isn't the first time you've said one thing and done another. You even went out of your way and hyjacked this thread to launch yet another attack.

Excuse me, Steve. You're still being rude. May I suggest working on your own manners? I'm here trying to help folks and 1) you're being argumentive and 2) wasting the time of others around here.

12. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm not being rude...I'm holding up the mirror and you clearly don't like the reflection.

So, whenever you're ready to "...stop the bitching...", then I'll put down that mirror. But, if you want to continue, then I'm going to continue calling you on it...your choice how we proceed.

Like I said in my previous post...I'll follow your lead....so, lead in whatever manner you wish to proceed in...

Steve

13. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

*sigh*

edit: I have better things to do.

14. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Sorry, but I didn't start or attack shit, but I'm getting to the point I'm damn well going to start being an asshole about it.

So either shut up, put up, or piss off.

And yes, NOW I'm just beginning to become rude.

If you want to play stupid he said/she said games, fine. If not, carry on and contribute something useful.

15. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

Sorry, but I didn't start or attack shit, but I'm getting to the point I'm damn well going to start being an asshole about it.

So either shut up, put up, or piss off.

And yes, NOW I'm just beginning to become rude.

Wow...I'm shocked and intimidated. ;-)

16. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I won't even justify you with a reply. You're obviously useless in this thread.

17. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

I won't even justify you with a reply.

Looks like we're making progress.

Steve

18. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Anyone else here just wish Steve would go away and let us get back to helping folks?

19. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

Anyone else here just wish Steve would go away and let us get back to helping folks?

Good question...looking forward to reading the responses.

Steve

20. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Sure.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by peiqinglong
  • Latest reply from lunabyte