The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Customizing themes... (7 posts)

1. ameriblog
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have WordPress MU installed and running great. The one question I'm having is when someone signs up for a new blog can they not edit their theme? I have all the themes enabled, if they pick WordPress Classic 1.5, WordPress mu Default, or even K2 which I've installed all they can do is edit the widgets and/or the header image/color. They can't edit any of the stylesheets, page layouts, etc.

Is there anyway to allow this?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

no. It was considered a security risk and the theme editor was disabled.

look sfor themes that have custom options pages with things in the theme for users to edit, or write one.

3. ameriblog
    Posted 17 years ago #

andrea_r,

Thanks. I understand the security risk, but I think it would be nice to give the admins the option. My network of blogs will be people close to me that I trust and really would have no problem allowing them the ability to edit their themes.

I guess I could have them edit theirs manually and then upload the files for them via FTP and they can select that.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

And not to mention, that if 3 people are using the same theme and one makes an edit...

5. mzmartipants
    Posted 17 years ago #

"I guess I could have them edit theirs manually and then upload the files for them via FTP and they can select that."

That's really the eastiest option, IMO. With most hosts you can create multiple ftp users. And you do trust them, after all....

At transadvocate.com, I give my bloggers their own theme...I just rename the file for the theme from say..Newsportal to Autumnstylenewsportal or something like that. Then if they want (and know how) to change their theme, they can ftp up into their directory and change files as they need to. Just remember to change the name of the theme in the top of the main css file so it shows up on the list of themes. Also, don't activate the theme, but selected through the admin/blogs/edit page and add it that way, so that theme isn't available to anyone else.

6. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

But that's if you trust them. ;)

7. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oooo, or here's an idea.. if they've paid you to be able to do so. :D

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by ameriblog
  • Latest reply from andrea_r