The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Can't Login To Alternative Domain (7 posts)

1. reedmon29
    Posted 17 years ago #

I decided recently to move my personal blog (myBlog.com) to my WordPress Mu install, MuSite.com (Setup for subdirectories). My host is 1and1, and since both domains are being handled by 1and1's interface, I set myBlog.com and MuSite.com to both point to my WordPress Mu directory. I then used the .htaccess trick I read to get myBlog.com to look like MuSite.com/blog/ (A chmod redirect at the head of the .htaccess file).

It works perfectly now, except for one issue: Cookies. If I try to log in to my WP Admin for myBlog.com (As myBlog.com), I get redirected back to the login menu instantly. If I type in the wrong password, I get a message saying so, so I'm fairly sure the issue is that it's creating invalid cookies.

If I go into MuSite.com's admin menu, and change the first two entries to move myBlog.com to MuSite.com/blog/, I can sign into WP Admin just fine. However, once I move the blog back to myBlog.com, it stops working.

I'm not very keen on the inner workings of domain names, so I'm not sure how to fix this. I think that all I need to do is to get WordPress to create cookies for myBlog.com as well as MuSite.com, but I don't know if that's possible. I can't park myBlog.com per se, as 1and1 doesn't have an option for that. Only way I could do that is to transfer myBlog.com to another DNS, and then park it to MuSite.com, and I'm hoping there's an easier way to do this.

2. iDope
    Posted 16 years ago #

Any solution? I am facing the same problem.

3. peiqinglong
    Posted 16 years ago #

You might have to login into the database and change wp_site and some other of the tables to reflect the new domain.

4. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

I think we covered it in the write up of doing domain mapping:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=3275

5. c77m
    Posted 16 years ago #

The problem with the domain mapping solution is that it's more of a workaround than a solution, and it has a major side defect (or "effect" if it ends up being positive in your case) -- that you need to create a site entry for each domain. This is definitely something that I do not want to do, so I'm still looking for an answer to the problem stated above.

That said, the existing domain mapping hack might be my only recourse and it sure is better than not using the domains. :)

6. MikeNunez
    Posted 15 years ago #

I know it's been a while since these were posted, but for those that find this via searching...

DO NOT try to update the siteurl in your SQL database, you could potentially lose your blog.

Instead, follow the instructions here:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

And there's now a few domain mapping or multi-domain plugins that negate most of this thread.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by reedmon29
  • Latest reply from andrea_r