The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WMUAvatars (32 posts)

1. Inviz
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Okay folks, this is the release of WMUAvatars. This plugin will let your users to have avatars.

See it's homepage:

http://konight.ru/wmua/

2. PaulOFlaherty
    Posted 18 years ago #

Cool!! Can't wait to try it!

3. Inviz
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

tell if you'll got any errors, its alpha

4. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

Excellent... will play asap!

5. Null
    Posted 18 years ago #

Hi,
    Is there a demo? Also I dont want peeps to uplaod any avatar, I want them to choose 1 from my site to use. So they can chose a avatar from a avatargallery like phpBB does!

Is this possible?

6. anothero
    Posted 18 years ago #

This looks like a great plugin for my site. Where can I get it since the link isn't working?

7. neurone
    Posted 18 years ago #

same for me, look good but link is 404 error

8. dbasulto
    Posted 18 years ago #

your website gives 404 error :(

i wonder if your plugin is available for regular WP also

9. lisec
    Posted 18 years ago #

yes, link gives 404, why? I would really need that plugin? is it listed on codex as a normal WP plugin?

10. anothero
    Posted 17 years ago #

Don't know if you guys still need some kind of avatar plugin, but I used normal wordpress plugin I found on http://cheesemasterdan.com/wordpress/word-press-plug-ins/dans-avatar-thingy/ and made some adjustments to get it to work for wordpressmu.

Add the follwing rule to your root folder htaccess file:
    RewriteRule ^wp-content/avatars/(.*)/wp-inst/wp-content/avatars/$1 [L]

Then change the follwing lines in the plugin (there are two):

$image_path = get_bloginfo('wpurl')."/wp-content/avatars/";

into:

$image_path = get_bloginfo('wpurl')."/wp-inst/wp-content/avatars/";

And that should do the trick, make sure all permissions are right. In my case they had to be 777.

11. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

uhmmm...

"To actually get the avatar to display on your site you need to edit your template, generally your Main Index Template and Comments files (index.php and comments.php in your template folder)…"

So you modified every single theme in your install to get this to work?

12. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I used Comvatars - no theme editing needed.

13. eminemjamesuk
    Posted 17 years ago #

Can someone link me to Comvatars?

14. conpeo
    Posted 17 years ago #

Comvatars latest version?

15. eminemjamesuk
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yes please

16. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

17. Rubyducky
    Posted 17 years ago #

anothero, I tried your modifications, but the plugin will not appear in the users menu when I put the plugin in the mu-plugins folder. Any idea how to get it working? I want it to be enabled for all users. Thanks!

18. WDuluoz
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have a working solution to my avatar needs.

I modified Author: Profile Pictures to work with WPMU and to be sitewide. I am currently testing.

User is able to upload a picture and then it is displayed where template tags are put using the $user_ID.

I am testing. Give me a few days and if the original author has no problem, I will link the files.

WDuluoz

PS I only hacked her original script.
    http://geekgrl.net/2007/01/02/profile-pics-plugin-release/

19. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

WDuluoz, I'm very interested in your modified version of the plugin. I was working with her to come up with a working MU release, but if you've already handled it then that'd be great!

20. WDuluoz
    Posted 17 years ago #

suleiman: Basically all I did was change the references to options to get_site_options and update_site_options, moved the options page to under the site admin menu, and corrected errors.

Areas it is lacking:
    No management window of avatars (gallery view to delete)
    No html upload of avatar
    No gallery picking of avatars
    Remote hosting of avatar might be difficult(look at comvatars)
    Does not resize images on upload
    No restrictions to upload other than rough file type based on endings (size and dimensions might be good)

WDuluoz

21. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Gotta admit that I would be as well. One less thing I would have to deal with. :)

22. WDuluoz
    Posted 17 years ago #

just a quick note, I have fixed two problems: automatically shows image next to comment authors name and lists the avatars that have been uploaded which helps to delete files(though its simple, so if you put it in the same folder as say your uploads you would probably have problems).

Im working on the filesize and dimensions check and maybe the html upload and gallery pick (though these are really not necessary).

Since this is a file based system, I am not going to try and make it link to remote images. I would have to change it to a database system, and I really do not want to do that.

Comvatars already does that better than I could write at this moment.

Also, I have not heard a response from the orginal creator of the plugin about distributing the plugin. At worst, I will post a tutorial to do the basic things if I do not get permission.

WDuluoz

23. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

awesome, looking forward to your modified plugin/tutorial!

24. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I don't think most developers answer email and comments like what they should be doing. I just noticed that wp-extremevideo got upgraded to 3.0. Lots of folks in his comments asking for help with no responses.

As an aside, if you run wp-extremevideo, don't do the upgrade. It required a fair amount of hacking and I still never got the Google stuff to run. Of course the Google never fully ran on the older version either...

25. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Doc, if you're that "hard up" for an avatar plugin, I'll let you use mine.

Pretty simple. User uploads avatar, system pulls avatar.

If one doesn't exist, it uses a default.

26. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

lunabyte, does your avatar system plug into comments across all themes like comvatars?

Edit: you know what. I don't care. Even if it doesn't do that can u still release it public luna?

27. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yes, it can plug into comments, sitewide recent posts, recent comments for an individual blog, the whole enchilada and then some. The license is privately held.

I took a deep look at what MU does, and looked from a community standpoint. Then I wrote it to do it all. It can even plug into my friends list widget I wrote up. Which reminds me I need to make an update script for that, and add an option to show the avatar in the list or to turn it off.

3 sizes of avatar are created (max of 96x96, 48x48, 16x16), all stored globally and accessible to any blog, and avatars are stored in lots of 10,000 (makes 30k files per directory).

When I put BBpress online later this spring, it will plug into that too.

28. WDuluoz
    Posted 17 years ago #

I would love it if you released it lunabyte. My rigging of profile pics is working nicely, but its sloppy. If I really had the time, I would rewrite it completely.

I would use comvatars, but I cant seem to get it to have site wide avatars.

Just thought I would add my two cents.

WDuluoz

29. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

luna, i would definitely love to 2nd that request :)

30. WDuluoz
    Posted 17 years ago #

suleiman and drmike send me an email ill send you what I have.

wduluoz AT happypoet DOT com

(I would love a little debugging.)

About this Topic