The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Subdomain Wildcard? (9 posts)

1. buzzhellchild
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm trying to install Wordpress MU on the sever, and I couldn't create a subdomain. I looked around at the forum and found that I need a Wildcard program...

What free Wildcard program do you suggest I use?

2. alexcobain
    Posted 16 years ago #

http://www.newfreedownloads.com/find/wild-card.html

I think you can try this one. But, dont you have your own Cpanel or WHM? Be more specific,please :)

3. buzzhellchild
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have CPanel, but it's hosted with HostMonster.

4. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Have you taken a second and read the readme.txt file included within the download? I believe the file contains both instructions on what needs to be done and a link to an article expanding on the idea.

You don't need a Wildcard "program." You need to set up a wildcard record within Bind and Apache, both programs on your CPanel box.

5. buzzhellchild
    Posted 16 years ago #

My Webhost, Hostmonster does not allow us to have access to the Apache and Bind programs...

6. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Then if you want to use MU, you will have to use the unrecommended install option for subdirectories.

7. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Pretty much. Do realize though that if your host doesn't allow you those options, they probably don't allow you to give out subaccount either and setting up wpmu is probably against your agreement with them.

8. horrorshow
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi, I've recently signed up with HostMonster.com, and I had been getting the run around regarding the wildcard DNS setup for my domains until Level 2 technician replied with this:

In order to have wildcard subdomains setup, you will need to have a dedicated ip. The cost for a dedicated IP is $30 per year ($2.50/mo prorated to the end of your agreement). If you would like to purchase the dedicated IP, please reply with either the password or the last 4 digits of your credit card number.

Now, I am not sure about httpd.conf changes.. I haven't gone that far yet with them.

However, I've decided on subdirectory method, and it's working fine for me so far.

9. gulflee
    Posted 15 years ago #

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by buzzhellchild
  • Latest reply from gulflee