The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Adding users, but NOT blogs. (36 posts)

1. dsader
    Posted 16 years ago #

moorezilla's right, with WPMU, there is no way around having students sign up at least as users without a blog. They need to be in the database (wp_user and wp_usermeta) for zillions of reasons. They are going to have a profile page to edit their own password anyway, the inconvenience of having another login/password to remember is short lived.

Have students signup as normal site users(disable "Gimme a Blog"), create the blogs for teachers in SiteAdmin-->Blogs. Teachers then go to their Dashboard and Add Users from Community one at a time using students' known email address. Once users are added they can be made any role of the teacher's blog in a couple clicks.

Teachers control who, and what capability edits/reads their blog. Couldn't take more than a few minutes for a class of 30 to be ready to go.

2. GeoffreyKOBrien
    Posted 16 years ago #

The big question is, how would you go about doing this if your students did not have an email address?

3. moorezilla
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks, Dsader. I appreciate the workaround. I'm kind of in the situation that KOBrien mentions, in that we lock down registrations by domain name, because all our teachers have email through the school, but I suppose we could do something where we gave classes a night to register, a night where we removed the domain registration limit. Have to think on this some more.

4. dsader
    Posted 16 years ago #

GeoffreyKOBrie,
    invent a BS email domain for students and restrict registrations to that domain, and your teachers' domain.

Johnny1@mrs.green.net
    Suzzie.Q@mrs.green.net

No student will ever get the email notifications, so what? Go to SiteAdmin-users to manually enter their first password.

5. moorezilla
    Posted 16 years ago #

Brilliant and evil... well brilliant any way. It must be brilliant since I never thought of it!

Thanks!

6. GeoffreyKOBrien
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ok, but are there any thoughts on being able to manage just these users? Maybe in a different table, or through LDAP?

About this Topic

• Started 18 years ago by barrybell
  • Latest reply from GeoffreyKOBrien