The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Spam and Splogs defeated ( Montyspam looking for testers) (257 posts)

1. ybrich
    Posted 15 years ago #

Is there a way to turn off the comment notifications that are scored as 0.000000?

ie emails titled:
    MONTYSPAM: 0.000 (comment)

another problem:
    also, im continually getting monty notifying me on posts like
    "
    Monty says, please check this comment!

This comment is almost certainly good. However, this is either probably this user's first or second post.

DETAILS:
    Author:nikki
    "
    except she is a regular poster.. so its prob her 30 or 40th post..

also getting the same thing when the blog owner replies.

2. macgruder
    Posted 15 years ago #

Regarding 'nikki' - have you ever approved one of her posts? Monty cannot know that the user has made 30 or 40 good posts in the past - before you have installed him.

If you have just installed Monty he will be asking you to moderate most posts until he has built up his database. When he has a sufficient number of tokens built up then these overly conservative moderations tend to disappear.

(There is also a 'learning speed' setting. Change this to be faster, if Monty is asking for checks when he doesn't need to).

The key point about Monty is that he learns through the patterns of YOUR users, and thus at the beginning he needs to be exposed to these patterns to learn - and you must tell him that he is correct or not correct. (If you are doing this and you are still getting these kind of messages you may have discovered a bug of course!)

It's hard for me to know exactly the situation because I don't know your settings. Could you take some screen shots of your settings, and your stats, and email them to me at my email address:

*****spamnet@gmail.com

with the 5 stars being replaced by monty

then I'll be able to give a better comment (or to fix a bug!).

3. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

just wondering whether on a wpmu install with <10 active blogs wp_montycomment_messages should really be around 300MB?
    Is there anything wrong with my installation maybe?

4. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

just posted here and now mu answer is gone !?

another try:

is it normal that on a wpmu install with <10 active blogs my wp_montycomment_messages is around 300MB?

anything wrong with my setup or is this expected behaviour?

5. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

weird, now both my posts are here :-( sorry, one can be safely deleted.

6. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

How many rows are there in the table? On my install each row seems to be about 18K which seems rather a lot for comments.

7. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

25.880 records so 300MB*1024kb/25.880=11.87KB/record

8. macgruder
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ah, yes. I need to add the 'Delete old stuff' button. I've been doing it manually. I'll add that soon.

12K per message. A lot of the data in the row is the headers plus the tokens cache - calculating tokens is quite processor intensive so keeping a cache speeds things up. But in fact, the old messages don't need to be kept. One reason that I've left them there (in this beta) is that so people can send me their tables if they find a bug (which obviously they can't if it deletes the rows automatically).

Essentially, I've traded HD space efficiency for processor efficiency.

If you want to delete manually, you just need to delete the _messages table data. Dump it and zip it if you wish and I can use the data for better seeding. Don't delete the tokens data whatever you do!

9. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

zipped data will be in your mailbox soon :-)

10. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

Monty has expired so I downloaded a new install this morning. I deleted all the existing monty files and dropped the new download in but its still reporting that its expired.

I've had to manually delete about 50 spam comments so far this morning!

11. macgruder
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hey, I've added another 30 days. So could you download and try again - making sure that you delete the zipped file you downloaded before (sometimes people reupload what they previously downloaded!)

"I've had to manually delete about 50 spam comments so far this morning!"
    Looks like Monty's doing his job :-)

12. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks for that, it worked ;-) and yes Monty really does work

13. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

hi there.
    could you maybe give some more info about the releases on your homepage? Now it seems the latest release is 1.0 but I am not sure which version I am using. Interested to find out if the update is important for me or not.

Any progress on the part about deleting old spam data?

Any further progress on the single wp version?

14. macgruder
    Posted 15 years ago #

Don't worry. You're up to date. The only change is the message when you update - which by definition you don't need until you update :-)

Single Version: essentially finished but I've only tested for 2.7
    I only need to package it for download. If you want get hold of a copy before then contact me directly.

Monty & MacG

15. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

emailed you straight away after reading your post here.

16. ayalon
    Posted 15 years ago #

This is a bit offtopic in this post, but for anti commentspam i use typepad antispam. Works really great, almost no false positives and spam is almost 0...

17. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

yeah heard of that, but I like local solutions and montyspam is working great with wpmu, been beta testing for a while and Gary is promising us the single version for what feels like ages now ;-)

18. ayalon
    Posted 15 years ago #

Good that this solution is work great. I like the advantage of a very big community of users and no need for self keeping up to date with plugins etc.

19. macgruder
    Posted 15 years ago #

@ayalon
    I haven't looked the typepad one. Do you have to manually check the spams? And does it block persistent spammers before they actually access the page? A couple of nice things about Monty is that he blocks persistent spammers are very early in the 'wordpress process' which means that it saves resources and the need to check. Also, you rarely actually need to check spam to confirm it.

On my site, out of 12000 spams, 9000 were instant blocks and I've had to confirm about 50 (mostly in the first week or so). There's been 1 false positive, and 4 spammers got through - I think in the early stages.

20. chowanec
    Posted 15 years ago #

Mac and Monty,

I seem to expire about once a month, I redownload, re-up to the site and I'm good to go another month. That said, on all my latest installs, it mentions that I "updated monty and shouldn't get expiration notices anymore."

I am correct in assuming that from here on out Monty does NOT update himself automatically? It provides a confusing message.

And I can attest -- MontySpam is THE best anti-spam plugin I have ever seen. My splogs went from 300 a day to 1 a week. And that one a week, I am convinced, is an actual human. :P

21. macgruder
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, you're right it is confusing! (it should say, "Expiration notices will finish for a month or so") My holiday starts on Wednesday, so I'm hoping to finish it off so this 'bug' will in essence correct itself. It's been far to long in 'nearly finished need to iron out the time things' mode :-)

MacG & Monty

22. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

I just got confused: I was checking my montyspam backend and noticed monty had caught a spam comment, saying the user failed the test, so I checked it, opened the site it was made upon to see if the comment was relevant to the text, it was, so I checked that particular comment, marked it as good, submitted my decision, then went to the page to check and that particular comment never appeared...

I did a search via phpmyadmin over all tables and found the commenter's name inside these tables:

wp_firestats_urls
    wp_montycomment_messages
    wp_montycomment_tokens
    wp_site_comments

table 1 and 4 are not relevant, 2 and 3 I understand, but why doesn't the comment show up and where did it disappear?

Btw, I never got an email about this spam, shouldn't monty always send me emails when he is unsure?

23. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

btw. while waiting for the single version of monty I stumbled upon yet another self learning spam filter, except that its again an external service :-( http://www.trollguard.com/

24. jackson100
    Posted 15 years ago #

hi, i cant get monty to work these days, i download a new version from montyspam.net but it doesnt help, it still stays "Expired" =((( my blogs are getting hit by spam! please help!

25. macgruder
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hey,
    It shouldn't be a problem. Absolutely make sure of the following:

Make sure that zip that you downloaded before is deleted from your computer.

Then download the new version.

(In the past we've had people downloading the new update, but still having the old update on their computer, and proceeding to upload that to the server! rather than the one just downloaded).

If you are still having problems email me directly at my gmail address:

montyspamnet

Please send what you downloaded.

Monty & Macgruder

26. jackson100
    Posted 15 years ago #

tnx macgruder, checked everything and now it works. great plugin!

27. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

@gary:

have you checked your plugin's compatibility with intensedebate? http://www.intensedebate.com/
    might be interesting to know as automattic has acquired them...

28. ybrich
    Posted 15 years ago #

Can we please have a longer expiry time?

im not a power user for MU, hence I dont check my mu system all that often. Only to find each time, monty has expired again, and ive got a bunch of splogs..

or have monty phone home, check for licencing changes and email us if its going to stop working?

cheers
    Craig

29. macgruder
    Posted 15 years ago #

Sorry Craig,
    You are right. It should be longer. I am at work on it, and I'm going to endeavour to get it working properly and/or lengthen the expiry time.

btw, are you using MU version 2.6 or 2.7

I'm considering stopping development of the present version, and releasing a new much better version for 2.7 - there are changes to Wordpress in 2.7 which make it easier for me to make an effective system.

30. ybrich
    Posted 15 years ago #

mu 2.7 here.

cool
    Craig

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by macgruder
  • Latest reply from anointed