The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Backing up database (9 posts)

1. risky
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hey guys, I wanted to backup my database just for added peace of mind, should anything ever happen to my hosting. I exported the sql file when logged into my cpanel.

Is that all there is to it? One file to export, and if need be, import at a later time?

Thanks.

2. risky
    Posted 16 years ago #

Bump.. does anyone know how to properly back up the database?

3. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

You're kidding, right?

From the readme file, included with MU:

"If you're not comfortable editing PHP code, taking care of a complex webserver and database system and being pro-active about following developments of this project then run, don't walk, to http://wordpress.com/ and sign yourself and your friends up to free blogs.

It's easier in the long run and you'll save yourself a lot of pain and angst."

If you don't have the basics, MU probably isn't the best choice you could make right now.

Unfortunately, this software requires advanced skills and isn't for everybody. The instructions reflect this in not only saying it up front, but also through the manner in which they are written.

4. risky
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've had no problems setting it up, editing PHP, customizing templates for my site, etc. I had one simple question about backing up the database since I haven't done that before. I exported the SQL file, I just wanted to know if there was anything else I had overlooked.

That hardly means I don't know what I'm doing.

5. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Um, yeah, when it comes down to it with a database it does. And MU is heavily db dependent.

"Most" people would have used available tools to get on board with it. Like google, mysql.com, etc.

6. risky
    Posted 16 years ago #

I backed it up. Thanks for all the help and the friendly attitude :)

7. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

I must admit that I saw this initial post and didn't reply as its actually as CPanel MySQL question and not WPMU specific.

8. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Risky you asked for help. You got an answer. Just because you didn't like the answer doesn't mean that it is the correct answer.

What's going to happen when your clients start asking you questions about your service? What if they ask you how to do a backup? Do you know the answer?

9. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

"Do you know the answer?"

Obviously not, Doc, or how to find it.

I don't even know why we try anymore. I swear that reading through a majority of the posts on here kills brain cells.

About this Topic