The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Category and Posts not working (25 posts)

1. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hello,

Okay, say I needed to go to this category:
    http://sleddoggin.com/blogs/hhuskies/category/uncategorized/

For some reason when I click on this category link, it says these exact words:
    Error 404 - Not found

Also, when I go to the home page of each new blog, I get this error message:
    Not found Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here.

There are also no messages in the Site News area.

So basically, my blogs are missing the most important ingredient. The posts! LOL

I have tried to do everything I know of to fix this, and any help would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to fix this before our newsletter goes out on the first of this month.

Christian

2. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Please take a second and read the readme.txt file included within download as it contains suggestions as well as a link to a checklist of things that you need to include when asking for assistance.

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/README.txt#L152

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/wiki/DebuggingWpmu

3. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks drmiketemp for the information, and sorry I didn't include this information before!

1. VHOSTS, I don't believe I need VHOSTS because I am running the system off of http://www.sleddoggin.com/blogs and not http://www.blogs.sleddoggin.com. Is this true? (my host just installed mod_rewrite so that the blogs would be created)

2. The path to my install is in /blogs/ directory

3. I got a welcome message, and I am able to create blogs. I just can't see any of the new posts. I CAN see posts though from the Admin if I go to a direct link to the post.

4. I am using the most current version of MU

Thank you in advance, and let me know if you need any more information!

4. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Okay, here is exactly what is in my htaccess.dist file:

php_flag register_globals 0
    php_flag display_errors 0

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /blogs/

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

Do you see anything that is missing in here that SHOULD be in here? It almost seems like the htaccess.dist didn't populate anything new when I installed the program. I am just wondering if this is what should be in the htaccess file. Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

Christian

5. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Okay, so I am thinking that this has to be a permalinks problem, of the posts not showing up anywhere.

One thing that I did find was that I have both a .htaccess file AND a htaccess.dist file, and they both have the same exact code in them. Both files have 644 permissions and not 666, so they are not writable. Is there anything I need to change here to fix them?

(the code that is contained within each htaccess file is above in my previous post)

Also, could this be an AllowOverride problem with my server?

As of now I am kind of stuck, but I will keep posting things about my system setup, so that maybe the problem can be identified.

6. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Found another problem. When I got to the admin COMMENTS page, it says that there are not comments, even though I did post a comment. AND I CAN view the comment when I look at the site through the front end. Still can't see posts though. Says they aren't found.

At this point, do you think this is a coding problem, or a host problem?

7. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Okay, the search button doesn't return any posts either on the blogs. So basically, NO POSTS show up. : )

Sorry to post so many posts. Just trying to show everyone exactly what is happening so I can pinpoint the problem.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Something's wrong with your setup - probably server setting or something. No, I don't know where you should look first. yes, I have a subdir setup somewhere and know it works for me.

9. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Agreed.

By the way, the htaccess.dist file gets copied over into your .htaccess file within root. (It's the root sirectory it goes into, right? Even if it's installed into a subdirectory?) I'd make sure that it got populated.

After install, the htaccess.dist file is just taking up space and is not used.

10. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks! I will see what my host says. Maybe they will have a bit of insight.

11. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

I do have one question.

One of my other programs running on my website required register globals to be turned on, so my host turned them on for me. Is this something that could effect the entire MU system as well, and not allow it to run properly?

If I were to turn register_globals OFF, do you think that the system would possibly work, or would it not effect it at all?

Because if so, I think that this might be a solution to my problem.

12. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Register Globals being on is a HUGE risk. Any program requiring it should be replaced with something better. Yes, they do exist, but you'll have to find them.

Please thoroughly read the readme.txt file which is found in the MU download package.

13. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Okay, I just upgraded the other program, and now it doesn't require register globals ON. SO, I requested that my host turn off register globals. He said that turning register globals OFF should help to get wordpress mu running. I will let you know if it works!

14. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Register_Globals was just turned OFF, but to no avail, WordPress MU still is not working. I guess Register_globals being off didn't effect the posts not showing up.

But, at least it is more secure now. This is so odd that it isn't working. I have come to a dead wall now, and I don't know what to do. : )

Do you think I should re-explain what isn't working?

Okay, maybe this will help to explain the problem. Have you ever seen this before?:

Let's say you go to my test blog. When you go to the home page it says that no posts match your criteria EVEN THOUGH I have posted two messages. On the right hand sidebar, under Archives and Categories, it even says that I DO have 2 posts. When I click on either or these links though, it says the link is wrong.

So basically, WPMU recognizes that I have posted posts, but it won't let me take a look at them through the front end site.

What is even more strange is that I CAN click on links to pages, and I can view static pages that I have created. I just can't see posts. It's the weirdest thing!

Now, let's say I go into my backend admin area. Do you know where the Blog Stats area is on the backend? If you click on the post from there you CAN edit it, and it takes you to the edit page, BUT if you go to MANAGE --> POSTS, there are no posts listed!!!

Well, there you go. A short synopsis is that posts don't work, pages do work.

Anyone see what's wrong? (wow, that was a long post)

I have gone over the README like 5 biggilion times! LOL

15. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

More Info to direct links:

Let's take my post Welcome, for example. When you go the the direct link to it, http://sleddoggin.com/blogs/hhuskies/2007/08/30/welcome/ it DOES work.

But it DOES NOT show up on my home page. No posts do. http://www.sleddoggin.com/blogs/hhuskies

And the post doesn't show up under Manage --> posts in the admin.

Does this seem weird to anyone? Its almost like the system can't post the variables of displaying different blogs. Like the home page, categories, and archive links don't work. It is just really odd why this isn't working.

16. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

You know, this just might be my problem. I don't know if my server/host is reading my .htaccess or even using the information contained within it. Is it possible that my host is just ignoring the .htaccess file, and this is what could cause all of the problems? I was looking at someone else .htacess and it was HUGE. Mine is tiny. Do you think the system isn't properly building onto the .htaccess? At this point I have it set to 777 permissions.

Here is my .htaccess. Remember that I DO have 2 blogs setup right now, and a couple of posts. Should the .htaccess be bigger than this?

php_flag register_globals off

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /blogs/

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

17. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

No, that's about right.

18. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Okay, I just did a fresh install of MU, and still the same. (host recommend I re-install, as other users on the host uses MU, and it works!)

It's just that the posts AREN"T being displayed on the fly. Basically, in short, that's my problem. Like you can go to a direct link to a post http://sleddoggin.com/blogs/blog/2007/09/02/hello-world/, yet this post wouldn't show up on my home page. And if you go to Admin, their are no posts that show up under MANAGE.

Another weird thing is that you CAN go to the categories/archives, but it just says that there are no posts to display. So basically, in short, I think I am just having a problem with my posts not displaying. Is this a database problem? Coding?

I checked with my host and my .HTACESS IS working and my server IS taking commands from it.

Thanks!

19. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Could I have a database problem? Maybe a certain table isn't being created properly? If I can view the posts on their own pages, but they just aren't being displayed, what does this mean?

20. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

By the way, should I start a new thread and "re-define" how far I have gotten, and what status I am in? I don't want to bog everyone down with this odd problem! And this thread might start to be a little confusing for people.

I could go through and write down exactly what I do and don't have on my server, etc...

Thoughts?

21. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm sure you've checked, but your versions of PHP and MySQL are up to snuff, right?

22. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

You know, I had thought I DID have the latest version of MySQL, but now that I check it, I DON'T!

My current version of MySQL is 3.23! It isn't 4.0, which I SHOULD have! Do you think this is where my problem lies? (I was starting to think that it WAS a MySQL problem)

My version of PHP is 4.4.

Thanks lunabyte!!!!

Cheerful Trails,

Christian

23. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I would say that is probably an issue.

/me I'd recommend at least MySQL 4.1.x, if not the latest version of 5 (5.0.45).

And yeah, 3.3.23 would be an issue.

You may have to reinstall after upgrade, just so you know. If so, take a dump of your DB first, and try to work with it from there. It may upgrade OK, it may not.

If you're on shared hosting, and they won't upgrade their s**t, better now to be looking for a new host than a week after launch.

Oh, I won't completely guarantee that this is what is causing your issues. But, it sure the heck isn't helping the situation.

24. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Okay, they are going to upgrade for me in the next couple of days, and I will post here soon to let you know whether or not I got the system up and running without any problems. I am crossing my fingers that this helps!

Thanks!

Christian

25. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Like I said, it might not cure you're problem. However, it most certainly isn't helping it one bit.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by hhuskies
  • Latest reply from lunabyte