The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

A few questions from a noob (4 posts)

1. qoncept
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've been toying around with WPMU for a few days now before replacing my old WP with it, trying to get a feel for things. I just had a few questions I haven't been able to find answers to.

First off, the whole plugins thing confuses me. If you disable Site Admin->Options->Menus->Plugins, blog owners don't have the ability to mess with plugins at all, but does that mean they dont have any plugins at all? Is there a way to create a default set of plugins and have them configured?

Also, is there any way to disallow certain actions on users' blogs? I want to be able to, say, use a certain template for my blog but not allow other users to use it. I'd also like to be able to have a dynamic sidebar like I have now, without the ability for other users to change it.

2. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

blog owners don't have the ability to mess with plugins at all

Actually that's not true. Without the plugin menu, they will not have the option to turn plugins that are installed into the plugins subdirectory on and off. Any plugin installed into the mu-plugins subdirectory is turned on by default for all users and will show up in their backend menus if needbe.

Theme: You turn on themes sitewide at Dashboard -> Site Admin -> Themes. You can be selective on the themes but not turning them on site wide and then visiting Dashboard -> Site Admin -> Blogs -> Edit and choose them for a specific blog along the right hand side of that page.

And I'm not sure I understand the sidebar question. Where specifically is the current sidebar? Are you saying that you don't want your users to have sidebar widgets?

3. qoncept
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for the input, that makes things a lot more clear.

As for the sidebar, I'm talking about widgets. On my blog, I like to have it dynamic so I can go in as I wish when I don't have FTP access and add or move them around or whatever. I want users' blogs to be like that, too, but have a standard set that they have to keep. Now that I think about it, though, I could just go ahead and add mandatory ones to the template.

Edit: Another thing I forgot to ask -- on the site admin options, there are fields for upload space and max filesize. Is there any way I can make different groups with different permissions for these, or at least give admins unlimited values?

4. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

There's a plugin on wpmudev.org that allows you to set the upload space.

As to mandatory widgets, not that I know of although you could be able to code somethign I'm sure. You can also hard code the code into the themes' sidebar.php files as well.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by qoncept
  • Latest reply from drmiketemp