The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Adsnse share plugin - request for new options (16 posts)

1. selad
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi,

After I have written the Adsense share widget I got a few comments requesting some new options.

It seems that the main thing wanted is a function that can be called from the themes to allow more Adsense ads in different places. If this is the case than the user will have to enter his Adsense id in the backend.

I think I can implement this option but would like to hear if any of you had more ideas for options?

2. Bike
    Posted 16 years ago #

As I have not tested it yet, this might be a silly question :)
    What happens if somebody uses the widget, but does not have a google ID? Might sound strange, but I know some will do that to 'thank' for the free blog.
    Will the ads automagically use the admin's ID (until their own ID is entered of course) or will there be ads served without ID?
    If the latter, then my request is for the former :)

3. selad
    Posted 16 years ago #

Its the latter and I will change it. The thing is that from my experience the users always enter their Adsense id.

4. Bike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Great, I will wait for that.

I believe in honour systems and will tell my bloggers that the blogs are free, but they can either support by donating or by placing the Adsense of Auction ads widget (or non of the above), even if they have no ID.

I assume the same is true for your auction ads plugin, so consider this a request for that as well.

Once it is in, I will sign up though you ;)

5. selad
    Posted 16 years ago #

Done :)

6. TomFisher
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am looking for way to put not just adsense ads on the blogs. Also, I'm wanting a way to have an ad space on all blogs, that the blogger can not touch. Is this possible? How?

Thanks,
    Tom

7. selad
    Posted 16 years ago #

Where do you want to place the ads?
    You can hard code it into the themes but that is needed for all of them :(

8. matt123
    Posted 16 years ago #

Anyone thought about working the plugin to function with openads?

9. indeepdark
    Posted 16 years ago #

First point : You may add a "create an adsense account" sponsored link (wich refer to admin id) near by the field "enter your account ID".
    There is no small profit, and I'm sur if you help your member to make money from their blog, they would register and activate the plugin.

Second point : the request from Bike seems to me very important, even more when you add ads to the theme. 3 ways to solve that :
    - you don't display add if the member don't add his account ID. You may loose money, and you're hosting a blog for free.
    - you display a message to tell the user to enter his account ID. In this case, it's seems important to me that, if the user create a Google AdSense account, he made it throught admin sponsorized link.
    - you display ads with only the admin id. You may add a message "register your adsense ID and start earning money from your blog", but only if the member is connected to his blog (visitors don't need to see this). Again, if user register to adsense, it must be with your link.

Third point : possibility to hardcore AdSense options (color, size, ...) depending on the theme. Admin may see a list of theme, and configure adsense option for each theme (you should be able to add 3 different format for ads, and 2 for what is called in french "ensembles thématiques", as it is the max possible on a page). Not everyone is familiar with adsense, so something you just need to enter your id should be great in order to optimize ads on the blog.

By the way, thanks for your plugin.

10. selad
    Posted 16 years ago #

indeepdark,

1 - good idea.
    2 - already done.
    3 - that is a major update. will think about it.

11. LaSet
    Posted 16 years ago #

what if one blog has more than 1 author?

12. indeepdark
    Posted 16 years ago #

Sorry for point 2, seems that my version is not uptodate...

Point 1 was so clear for me, that I was sure you would implement it without me to suggest it !

Point 3 is a lot of work...

13. indeepdark
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok I understand point 2...

In fact, my question now is how to include an ad to the theme with this plugin (i.e. to force user to display ads, but letting him choose if he take part of it) ?

And not through widgets, I'm actually designing my site to be the simple to use as possible : the less option you have, the better it is !

So second problem : if user don't/can't use the widget, where can he enter his account ID to earn money ?

Thanks again

14. selad
    Posted 16 years ago #

LaSet - more than one author that do not share the same Adsense account is not supported. I don't think it will be included.

indeepdark - I was assuming that the system owner will tell his bloggers about the Adsense widget and have them sign to the service with his code. But I can include a link on the widget panel.

15. Bike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hey Selad,

I noticed that you still have version 1.0 (28 July) on your site. When do you release the next version with some of the 'done' additions and maybe some new ones? Especially the signup-affiliate link seems obvious :)

(same for Auction Ads plugin)
    Cheers, Bike

16. selad
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have posted the updated version at the plugin page.

Add in version 1.1:
    - If the user did not enter his Adsense code the site admin’s code will be used.
    - A small “Sign up for Adsense” link is placed on the widget in the backend. Site admin’s code is used.

Also added a todo list :)

About this Topic