The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

podcasting with WPMU (6 posts)

1. pixline
    Posted 16 years ago #

We are using WPMU to empower a news agency website network, but I'm getting crazy to make podpress and/or ipodcatter works with it. podpress used to be compatible with WPMU (1.1.1) but - reading their forums - seems that latests releases isn't tested anymore (I'm using 7.* on another WPMU and barely works, the latest can't work in any way). ipodcatter is easier to implement, but it has database issues with WPMU latest versions.

Reading previous topics in this forum, seems that the best solution is burning a feed with feedburner and deliver it as a podcast... but I think this is more a workaround that a real solution.

So: anyone has a multiblog podcast setup working with WPMU? With podpress, ipodcatter or other plugins I don't know? If not, someone is willing to help me code a WPMU-based podcasting solution? I'm getting quite sad today... :|

2. emoruffino
    Posted 16 years ago #

the newest release of podpress works perfect with our MU

3. alexragone
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm having an issue with Podpress 8.5 and 1.2.5a installation of wordpress mu. When I enable PodPress and upload a file, it only gives me a link to the text. When I insert select send to editor, it puts the text link in the editor, but not the image. If I copy the link and use the editor insert image icon it works just fine. Any ideas, suggestions? Thanks!

4. alexragone
    Posted 16 years ago #

Going to go with Anarchy Media Player, but if anyone has a solution for the above problem, please let me know. Thanks!

5. pixline
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm trying to make podpress 8.5 and WPMU 1.2.5a working too. It's slightly better than before, but not exactly what I call *working* setup. I'll share more details as soon as the debug goes on.

By the way, I have another WPMU installation which works perfectly with 7.5 but I can't reproduce it in our new project, and it's quite frustrating... I wonder what I've done at the time :)

6. pixline
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've made some progress and I'd like to share them. But first, many of my problems were WPMU related, before podpress. I've patched blogs.php with

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/wp-content/blogs.php?rev=1128

changeset, and the upload/file dealing part is now working as expected. So, let's focus on podpress.

The first thing I worried to fix is autodetecting duration and filesize, that are required by a standard-compliant podcast. I've discovered that podpress_backend.php is a really simple file to hack and plug different functions, so I have replaced podPress_getDuration() and podPress_getFileSize() with my own drafts, and now it's working.

I have not cleaned up the code, so it will need some tweaks, but I hope this will help someone. Please change YOUR-BLOGS.DIR-PATH with your physical path to blogs.dir (like /home/whatever/www/wp-content/blogs.dir for example)

=== my filesize function ===

function pixline_filesize($urlreq){
            $bloglist = get_blog_list(0,1000);
            $blogs = array();
            foreach($bloglist as $singleblog){
                    $blogs[$singleblog['domain']] = $singleblog['blog_id'];
            }
            $pezzi = parse_url($urlreq);
            $senzafiles = str_replace('/files','',$path['path']);
            $nuovopath = "/YOUR-BLOGS.DIR-PATH/".$blogs[$pezzi['host']]."".$pezzi['path'];
            $filesize = filesize($nuovopath);
            echo $filesize;
    }

=== my duration function ===

function pixline_duration($urlreq){
    require_once('getid3/getid3.php');
            $bloglist = get_blog_list(0,1000);
            $blogs = array();
            foreach($bloglist as $singleblog){
                    $blogs[$singleblog['domain']] = $singleblog['blog_id'];
            }
            $pezzi = parse_url($urlreq);
            $senzafiles = str_replace('/files','',$path['path']);
            $nuovopath = "/YOUR-BLOG.DIR-PATH/".$blogs[$pezzi['host']]."".$pezzi['path'];
    $getID3 = new getID3;
    $ThisFileInfo = $getID3->analyze($nuovopath);
    echo @$ThisFileInfo['playtime_string'];
    }

About this Topic