The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

What would discourage spammers? (33 posts)

1. lostdeviant
    Posted 15 years ago #

andrea_r, no I didn't know about hashcash, but when I looked it up it seems to be for comment spam not signup spam.

Klark0, thanks for the info about comments being affected with hashcash.

so far I've tried changing my captcha to recaptcha, but really the only thing that stopped bad signups was testing buddypress with extra profile fields. Unfortunately, my webhost suspended me for too many mysql calls soon after that so I removed it and promised to reduce mysql queries to get my sites back, so buddypress is out until I can afford a dedicated server.
    I'll going to look for a MU plugin just for extra required profile fields on signup. I thought I saw something for that.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hashcash also works on the signup page, but I usually add an extra field. That stops 'em.

3. tdcaron
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi everyone,

I too have run into many problems with spammers over 2000 in the last week. it has cut down some since I've Added WP reCAPTCHA and SK2, but now I have run into another problem.

I had setup the main blog with all the information like how to sign up, features, themes and tools and stuff of that nature, and revamped everything yesterday.

Now this morning when I go to the site all the pages that I created are gone.

It says the pages are there when you go to the main site
    links but no content.

In admin panel, under manage pages, it states 6 pages and 2 posts but does not show the list of pages.

It only shows the list of post, but when I click on the link to edit posts it either stays on the same page or shows no content.

I tried adding a new page but it doesn't show up either. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm at a total loss here.
    I am using the Carrington Theme from Wordpress, which was working fine yesterday.

Help!!
    tdcaron
    http://backtothebasicsofbusiness.com

PS. I have only 15 blogs that are actually good, the rest is spam

About this Topic