The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Banned email domain list (31 posts)

1. indeepdark
    Posted 16 years ago #

It seems that on my installation, the banned email domain list simply not work. User with such email domain keep register and splog the community.

I've seen this normally have been fixed, and I checked my code, it seems to be up to date, but the wp-signup page don't display the "use another email domain" message.

You can have a try here : http://inda-blog.com/ wp-signup.php with one of theese domain (which are my actual banned domains list) :

@zhopa.biz
    @s2worldsports.net
    @d2pills.org
    @d2treatment.org
    @gmail.com
    @a2bmw.org
    @c2voyage.org
    @s2sportblog.org
    @rebelmail.info
    @luvgolfing.com
    @moviefan.com
    @wild4music.com
    @games.com
    @allsportsrock.com

Thanks !

2. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

Do you have the @ sign in the list? I don't use the banned list since I only allow certain email domains, but in my allowed domains field I enter the domains without the @ sign. You may want to try:

zhopa.biz
    s2worldsports.net
    d2pills.org
    d2treatment.org
    gmail.com

Steve

3. Bloggproffs
    Posted 16 years ago #

holy crap your blocking out google? (gmail)?

4. Bloggproffs
    Posted 16 years ago #

edit: >saw that the ones i added was in your list already

5. indeepdark
    Posted 16 years ago #

ekusteve > Yes, I have the @ in the list. I just removed it, so we'll see.

Bloggproffs > Gmail represent 50% of the spammers on my installation, so, yes, I block google... (and that's a pitty : my main features are based on google...)

6. Bloggproffs
    Posted 16 years ago #

ok i understand, i must be lucky then, i dont get any spam from google as it is now, altough i added thoose domains to my block list, and they stil can sign up, had 4 of them signing up during this morning.

i added them like this:

zhopa.biz
    s2worldsports.net
    d2pills.org
    d2treatment.org

any ideas?

7. indeepdark
    Posted 16 years ago #

idem for gmail. One signup till I made change on my banned domains list...

8. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

There's an open trac ticket on this problem as well as a thread on bad domains also.

9. indeepdark
    Posted 16 years ago #

The open track ticket do not seems to be very active... No one got this fixed ?

10. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 16 years ago #

This is weird, I added gmail.com to my test server and I wasn't able to register using my gmail account. If it's not working for you, you'll need to debug it some more.
    Look in sitemeta, is the array of domains cut off? Are there stray spaces in there?(shouldn't be)
    Look in wpmu-functions.php:is_email_address_unsafe() - dump variables to the screen or a log file and look at each loop over the domain list.
    Are you using a particularly long list? Maybe there's an overflow or something.

11. indeepdark
    Posted 16 years ago #

the sitemeta looks like a:1:{i:0;s:2570:"126.com 163.com [...] zhopa.biz";}

(I cut it off in order not te be too long, but till yesterday the list was quite short)

I do not understand "stray spaces" . What do you mean exactly ?

Can you explain how can I look the wpmu-functions.php:is_email_address_unsafe() ?

Thanks.

12. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 16 years ago #

Was that a copy/paste or did you type that array in? Mine looks like

a:5:{i:0;s:9:\"zhopa.biz\";i:1;s:17:\"s2worldsports.net\";i:2;s:11:\"d2pills.org\";i:3;s:15:\"d2treatment.org\";i:4;s:9:\"gmail.com\";}

a:5 stands for "Array" with 5 elements, so it couldn't be a:1 at the start, I hope!

13. indeepdark
    Posted 16 years ago #

That was a copy paste...
    So I've got a problem. I just need to know how to solve it now !

edit : Solved ! In the option page of the admin panel, it says to separate each domain by a space, but in fact you need to add each domain on a new line. I've checked the mysql table, and everything is ok (with 165 elements in the array)

14. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 16 years ago #

To fix: copy the domains out of the db to notepad, vi, or wherever, and strip all the php code from around it.
    Then delete the list from the db and go to your admin options page again and copy the list of domains from your text editor.

Hopefully you'll end up with a correct array!

15. indeepdark
    Posted 16 years ago #

I solved that : see my last post.

16. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 16 years ago #

That "separate each domain by a space" refers to the previous entry, "Limited Email Registrations". Hopefully everyone elses problems are caused by the same thing!

17. indeepdark
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've got it under the limited email registration fields and under the banned domain box.
    I also post the "fix" on the trac ticket.

18. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 16 years ago #

Really? How old is your WPMU? This is what mine shows:
    http://i23.tinypic.com/xqkknt.png
    It's been in there for the last 9 months :)

19. indeepdark
    Posted 16 years ago #

Seems like the french version do not update...
    I'm on WPmu 1.2.3 !

20. copperblade
    Posted 16 years ago #

Holy crap, separate each by a space refers to the previous line? Damn, that's what's been getting me this whole time!

You know, maybe the form should be consistent on how it expects input...

21. copperblade
    Posted 16 years ago #

Actually, this isn't helping me. I definitely have users who have the same email domains that are in the restricted list.

22. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

they should be in a list with a carriage return after each one, and make sure there are no extra spaces.

23. copperblade
    Posted 16 years ago #

I shouldn't say it isn't helping at all... I do THINK I'm getting less spam signups, but the few I do get still seem to be of domains I've blocked. Is it possible they're just changing their email address after registering? It would be nice to get an email every time someone registers with their address and IP address. registrationnotification is set to "yes" in the db, but I don't get any... is that my own email problem?

To make sure it was getting the right kind of new line, I checked my database. I have something like this:

a:8:{i:0;s:12:"lulldns.info";i:1;s:8:"21cn.com";i:2;s:8:"sohu.com";i:3;s:11:"jetable.net";i:4;s:11:"jetable.com";i:5;s:11:"jetable.org";i:6;s:11:"h0tm41l.com";i:7;s:0:"";}

Also, I have both allowed_themes and allowedthemes in the database. Is that normal?

24. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Db entry looks right to me, although I gotta tell ya, my list is easy 4 times the size of that.

25. Grenoli
    Posted 15 years ago #

##################
    Do you have the @ sign in the list? I don't use the banned list since I only allow certain email domains, but in my allowed domains field I enter the domains without the @ sign. You may want to try:

zhopa.biz
    s2worldsports.net
    d2pills.org
    d2treatment.org
    gmail.com

Steve
    #####################

How do you allow only certain domains to register?

26. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

How do you allow only certain domains to register?

That should be an option on the Site Admin -> Options page.

27. Grenoli
    Posted 15 years ago #

Where? I am pretty sure that option doesnt exist.

But it shoud be possible to add it if I can just find the right register-file.

28. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am pretty sure that option doesnt exist.

I suggest that you check again. Site Admin -> Options -> Banned Email Domains.

29. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

My banned email domain list has stopped working too. I've got signups up from mail.ru and gawab.com which are on my black list

30. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hmmmmm

I think I might have found something.

Got a signup for a user account which is using a banned email domain.

Looked in my Apache logs. No sign up for my blogs using the blog sign up BUT there is a signup for the BBPress forum that I had integrated.

So I guess I need to change BBPress to redirect its signup to the WPMU signup page (and remove its own register.php file).

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by indeepdark
  • Latest reply from tdjcbe