The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Plugin Commander 1.0 (54 posts)

1. omry
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi all,
    I released a new version of Plugin Commander, which gives you control over which plugins users can activate.
    Check it out here:
    http://firestats.cc/wiki/WPMUPluginCommander

Current features list:
    * Mark any plugin in the plugins directory to be automatically activated for new blogs.
    * Mass activate or deactivate a plugin for all existing blogs
    * NEW: Choose which plugins users can activate and deactivate through Manage->Plugins, for this to make sense you need to disable the built-in plugins menu

Let me know if anything is broken.

Omry.

2. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

ok, just testing.

what about a "allow all" button? so I can then deny a few plugins I don't want to be available? its easier than allowing 90% ...

3. omry
    Posted 16 years ago #

Nice idea. feel free to implement and send a patch. :)

Alternatively you can create an enhancement request at firestats.cc and wait for me to get to it.

4. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

Omry...thanks for this update.

I'm always looking for ways to simplify the admin interface for my users. I only have a couple of plugins and this allows me to activate them as site admin and just remove the plugin menu from my users admin area...works great.

Steve

5. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm wondering omry, if that from the end users standpoint if it might be easier on them to instead create a top level "Plugins" tab, vice placing it under the manage tab?

Since the "actual" plugins tab would be turned off, it would essentially just replace it as if it were on. The end user however won't visually see a difference.

It would also keep consistency if there is a plugin in use that adds their menu item to the plugin menu instead of the usual option menu.

If someone wanted to hide the plugin menu all together, like exampled above, there could be a setting for that. Something where it only shows it to the site admin, and maybe adds the link under site admin instead of as a top level tab.

Just thought I'd open this for a little discussion. It might be useful to someone.

6. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

Nice idea. feel free to implement and send a patch. :)

Alternatively you can create an enhancement request at firestats.cc and wait for omry to get to it.

rofl ;-) just joking, I second luna's idea.

7. omry
    Posted 16 years ago #

lunabyte, in fact I spent some time trying to figure out how to make it work as a top level menu but I gave up eventually.
    if you can tweak it and make it so, go ahead and send me a patch.

8. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

another suggestion:

can you also have a look at the plugin manager: http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Plugin-Manager maybe you can incorporate some of its functionality into plugin commander?

9. boonika
    Posted 16 years ago #

How do I remove plugin menu from my users admin area? Don't understand that? Ekusteve?

10. omry
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ovidiu: patches are welcomed.

boonika: Site Admin->Options->Menus

11. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

omry: I am no programmer, I can hardly "modify" little pieces of php code to suit my needs :-) but I only make suggestions, I appreciate your work and don't demand anything, jsut trying to improve your plugin with some ideas thats all.

12. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

boonika...Got to Site Admin/Options and uncheck the box at the bottom.

Steve

13. boonika
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks Steve. Dumb question, I know.

14. boonika
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is there a way to enable certain plugin for some blogs only? Thanks.

15. boonika
    Posted 16 years ago #

One other thing. I don't like the fact that I (as administrator) don't see plugins menu. It is cool that members (blog owners) can't see it.

16. omry
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ovidu, no need to apologize, your feedback is welcomed.
    To put things into perspective:
    I wrote the Plugin Commander to make my main plugin
    (FireStats) more usable on WPMU.
    Since I solved a generic problem, which was not specific to my plugin - I wrote it in a generic way that will work for other plugins.

I don't even run a real WPMU site, so I am not very motivated to push this much forward at the expense of the time I put into FireStats.
    I chose a license which will encourage other people to contribute improvements which will benefit everyone, and I will integrate serious patches - but I will probably not improve this plugin much further.

boonika:
    I think the problem you describe should be addressed at wpmu core team. I am not even sure if this can be solved by a plugin.

17. boonika
    Posted 16 years ago #

You're right. Also, some of those questions I asked above were really stupid. GREAT PLUGIN.

18. boonika
    Posted 16 years ago #

Can You please explain the pyurpose of 'User control' option?

19. omry
    Posted 16 years ago #

bookina, plugins that have allowed under user control can be activated/deactivated by users.

20. boonika
    Posted 16 years ago #

But how can that be done if users don't see Plugins Menu which was disabled in Site Admin/Options?

21. omry
    Posted 16 years ago #

read the plugin page and find out.

22. boonika
    Posted 16 years ago #

Will do. Btw, although I ask so many silly questions I must admit that this is one of my favorite plugins. Been waiting for something like that for more than 3 months. Thanks.

23. omry
    Posted 16 years ago #

you are welcome.

24. diniscorreia
    Posted 16 years ago #

HELP!

I've installed plugin commander and I thought it was working.

The thing is: it is activating plugins on new blogs *only if the user is already registered*. If I register a new user and blog, the plugins are not activated :\

Any ideas?

25. omry
    Posted 16 years ago #

looks like a bug. open a ticket at http://firestats.cc/newticket and I`ll take a look.

26. diniscorreia
    Posted 16 years ago #

Could is be somthing with the hook?

Instead of:
    add_action('wpmu_new_blog'...

I tried:
    add_action('wpmu_activate_blog','pc_new_blog');

but it still doesn't work :\

27. diniscorreia
    Posted 16 years ago #

Oh, nevermind the previous post - after looking to wpmu-functions.php I now know the blogs are actually created after the activation.

Thing is, now I don't even know why it's not working.

28. omry
    Posted 16 years ago #

read my comment in the ticket : http://firestats.cc/ticket/510

29. diniscorreia
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hmm I see.

Well, in theory, shouldn't it work if triggered by the wpmu_activate_blog then?

I *really* need to get this working :(

30. diniscorreia
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well, I found a dirty workaround.

You said the hook is called but the plugin list is empty. So, I edited the plugin and added a var with the content of pc_auto_activate_list.

Like I said: dirty workaround. I will have to add the plugins manually to the plugin code, but this will do the trick until you release v.1.0.1 :)

About this Topic