The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Installation Error (19 posts)

1. jk215
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hello everyone. I recently attempted to install WPMU for a website and I cant get past the first screen. I fill in all the essentials and get this when I hit submit:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: wp_die() in /home/stolenbi/public_html/roadtrippn/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 475

At first I thought it did populate the database tables but after I dropped everything in my wordpress database and tried again nothing populated. My hosting is Bluehost and I want to use subdirectories not subdomains if thats any consequence. Basically no matter what I type into the fields of the install it just goes to that php error. Any help is appreciated!

2. Bloggproffs
    Posted 16 years ago #

That happend for me on one host, but not on another with the newest version.

Edit: Wildcard enabled on both

3. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

- install it in the root directory and see if it works better.

and doesn't bluehost not like MU installs on their servers? I seem to think someone else had an issue a while back.

4. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

Mu installs fine on Bluehost with subdirectories. Try installing in root and it should work.

Steve

5. jk215
    Posted 16 years ago #

thanks for the replies..the only problem is the domain i will be using is an addon domain. something else is already in /public_html. Arggh..

6. farseas
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hello,

I am on Hostgator with a shared hosting account. I am getting the same error. Why would putting MU into a subdirectory make any difference?

7. seekcalm
    Posted 16 years ago #

up! I know installing in root and it should work.
    But
    I am with a shared hosting account too!
    How to modify wp-db.php util it work?
    Any suggestion?

8. putri
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm using hostgator and it's not letting me install. Same error.

9. farseas
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hey Folks, I may have figured it out. I went into the offending code and commented out the call to wp_die. That allowed me to see the raw error I was getting. It turned out that what was happening was that it was trying to access the Mysql database with my logon username instead of the database username I had supplied to WPMU.

The problem starts with the fact that when you create a database user in MySQL at some hosting services, they prepend your logon username to the MySQL username. Hence, my logon username was user1, and when I created a MySQL user for WPMU, the cpanel script changed it into user1_user1.

But when WPMU tried to access MySQL, it was doing it with my logon name: user1.

The way I fixed the problem was to go into phpadmin and add a user to the WPMU MySQL database called user1, with all privileges. Then, when I went back and tried to install WPMU again, I gave it the user1 username and everything went fine.

10. farseas
    Posted 16 years ago #

BTW - I also started with a fresh install of WPMU that didn't have my error seeking hacks in it.

11. farseas
    Posted 16 years ago #

UPDATE - I MAY HAVE SPOKEN TOO SOON!

I just tested my hypothesis that my above fix was the reason that my install worked. I am now not so sure.

I just did another install with a completely new database and new code and it also worked.

Maybe Hostgator merely made a server change that made it all work.

This is on a shared server and I have multiple domains on it. Yes, I know, I will have to move it to a dedicated sever eventually.

Does anyone have any dedicated server suggestions? I want at least a gig of mem and multiple redundant net connections.

12. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Look up Server Beach (.com). Decent boxes at decent prices.

13. nates1
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi all,

I just had the same issue after trying to install on a hostgator shared server and this is what solved the issue.

Make sure to use this format for both Databse name and Username fields. The correct names can be found in your cpanel - MySQL® Databases - Current Databases.

Database Name ='username_databasename';
    User Name ='username_username';
    Password ='your password';

Hope it helps.

14. ConsciousTribe
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am having this problem with Dreamhost, but I can't say that it's host specific. WPMu simply can't connect to the database for some reason.

Removing the "or die" argument lets the index page try to load, but it still cannot connect and then supplies the following:
    Warning: mysql_get_server_info() [function.mysql-get-server-info]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) in /home/.thuvia/wpblog/blog.conscioustribe.org/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 84

Warning: mysql_get_server_info() [function.mysql-get-server-info]: A link to the server could not be established in /home/.thuvia/wpblog/blog.conscioustribe.org/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 84
    WordPress µ

Warning: mysql_get_server_info() [function.mysql-get-server-info]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2) in /home/.thuvia/wpblog/blog.conscioustribe.org/wp-admin/includes/schema.php on line 7

Warning: mysql_get_server_info() [function.mysql-get-server-info]: A link to the server could not be established in /home/.thuvia/wpblog/blog.conscioustribe.org/wp-admin/includes/schema.php on line 7

Warning: mysql_affected_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/.thuvia/wpblog/blog.conscioustribe.org/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 293

Warning: mysql_insert_id(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/.thuvia/wpblog/blog.conscioustribe.org/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 296

So the next step is to diagnose why it's not connecting.
    I'm using a different subdomain for the install and the database. Perhaps that's the issue, but it shouldn't be. Any ideas?

15. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

As long as the field for the database location says where the db actually is instead of localhost, it should do it.

16. ConsciousTribe
    Posted 16 years ago #

Follow-up... I finally got everything working fine... Turns out the problem was a mismatching of passwords... The installer wanted my domain's password, not the database password I anticipated... Well it went like a breeze...
    I also found this helpful dreamhost article to boot...
    http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/WordPress_MU

17. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

"The installer wanted my domain's password, not the database password I anticipated... "

maybe you accidentally set them to the same one? Because the only password it asks for is the database user's password. (which could have been set that way by your host).

18. WordPress_John
    Posted 16 years ago #

I had this problem too -- turns out I forgot to add permissions to the database user.

19. fastandeasy
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hello everyone. I am new here, and I don't speak good english, but I will do my best. I am trying to make the mu installation and I see the first page that and the system need all teh information about my db. When everything is supose to be done, I start again with the same page (index.php) or I see only the MU logo.

Can you help me please!!!!.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by jk215
  • Latest reply from fastandeasy