The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

1and1 wordpressmu (20 posts)

1. talzz2
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have tried to install wordpressmu on 1and1 host account multiple times but no matter how I install I still get error 404 after the install and I go to log into the mydomain.com/wp-admin it redirects to error 404 file not found and the web address at the top of the screen says mydomain.com/wp-admin/install.php I look and there isnt a file named install.php in the wp-admin dir am i doing something wrong? I think my permissions are correct .htaccess file reads..

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

I have searched for about and though i found the fix adding AddType x-mapp-php5 .php to the top of my .htaccess but this did not work either

2. ssbansal
    Posted 16 years ago #

Remove the .htaccess file (make a backup before) then re-upload all the wpmu files making sure permissions are set correctly, then start the install.

This might work.

3. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Please also double check the readme file included within the download as it appears you may have missed a few steps.

4. bschwarting
    Posted 16 years ago #

5. talzz2
    Posted 16 years ago #

I just did a reinstall removing the htaccess file, I have checked my permissions everything seems to set correctly.
    is this the problem """You cannot modify the "httpd.conf" file of Apache Webserver in our Shared hosting and Managed Server packages. But you can adjust the Apache webserver properties to your needs by editing a control file. You can list various commands in this file enabling you to control access to a directory"""

I have been trying to mod the htaccess file however i can't seem to get the install correctly... can i bypass with the htaccess file?

6. talzz2
    Posted 16 years ago #

bschwarting I wish it did I can install a wordpress install just not wordpress MU..

7. bschwarting
    Posted 16 years ago #

i followed that and got it working, running MU on 1and1 myself

8. talzz2
    Posted 16 years ago #

which plan do you use? you didnt have to change anything in the htacess file? you didnt have to mod any permissions?

9. talzz2
    Posted 16 years ago #

i use the 1and1 home linux package

10. talzz2
    Posted 16 years ago #

bschwarting, theapparatus, ssbansal

Thank you for your help...

I just left it alone and restarted this morning checking your link again and double checking didnt change anything from yesterday except on 1and1 I used mysql 4 instead of 5 and it worked with no problems weird.. if I have time I'm going to go back and choose that sql 5 database again and see if it works but so far using the sql4 seems to have resolved it..

11. bschwarting
    Posted 16 years ago #

yeah, i use the business package with mysql5, linux platform.

here is my htaccess file, hope it helps! you won't need the last line, it's for an avatar plugin.

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase BASE/

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?avatar/(.*) wp-content/avatars.php?file=$2 [L]

12. ariahfine
    Posted 15 years ago #

@bschwarting

Out of curiousity, are you able to do the subdomain option for the wordpress mu set up? I've got a similar 1and1 package and it has like 20 subdomains available (according to it), but I'm wondering if MU is the one creating the subdomains via the mysql database, then maybe I can have an unlimited amount of them. Any thoughts?

13. bschwarting
    Posted 15 years ago #

i have since gone to a VPS package. what MU wants, i give it :)

14. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

It's a hungry beast.

Also, if there are subdomain limits, the ones MU does do not count as they are *virtual*.

15. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

I really need to add that 1and1 is the most horrid company you will ever deal with, and i highly suggest you grab everything and run. Run far. I've dealt with billing errors, shady policy, rude upper management, and about everything in the book in just the past 2 years - and i only have domains.

16. loriclark
    Posted 15 years ago #

MrBrian-

Who did you switch to?
    I'm with 1and1 but ironically, although I have referred many people to them via my affiliate code i still have not seen any payment.

I like their platform but wondering what else is out there... any recommendations?

17. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

Switched over to namecheap.com awhile back. The interface and features are much much better. Plus it doesn't take 3 days to change your domains nameservers like 1and1 does, more like 5 minutes. Like a dummy, i went with 1and1 for domains because they are the cheapest and had free whois privacy. Lets just say the very few domains i have left with them don't even have domain privacy anymore- they terminated it for all my domains because I "run them as a business".

Be careful though if you transfer your domains. They've tried to bill me twice for domains i already transfered to namecheap, most likely a system setup to rip you off. They send you an email about the renewal a few days before they charge you too, which isn't enough time to talk to their customer service. Takes 24 hours at least by email. One time they sent me a domain renewal reminder with the wrong domain name they were charging me for. The email said one domain, the pdf invoice said a different one. While they did refund the billing errors both times after contacting them, it will probably keep happening for the rest of the domains i transfered. They refused to delete my credit card data unless i cancel my account completely, which would mean i lose any of the domains already in the account. The whole company is just a joke to be honest.

The biggest problem i ever had with them was when one of my domains would not propogate and point to new nameservers after i had migrated one of my sites to a new host. I had to escalate tickets with them over the phone to "top level techs" because the normal techs couldn't fix it. Took 2 weeks to have the domain pointing at the new nameservers - the whole time my site was down. Pissed me off royally because the first week they forgot about me, then the second week I wasn't even notified when it was fixed. I had to call and ask.

18. praneel
    Posted 15 years ago #

I host 40 domains with 1and1. They always inform 45 days ahead of renewal. I messed up some domain registrations in the beginning but they didn't charge me twice. I called them and it took 15 min to resolve the issue.

The domain registration and propagation are really 2 big issues with 1and1. Though I register a domain, it still appears available in internic.net and other domain checkups for a day. I never lost a domain though. The nameservers take more time to update than any other service provider I know. But then again, once all the initial hiccups are over, the domains are renewed automatically without a hitch and privacy is free. I used to pay more than the domain price just for privacy protection. Their ssh is very fast.

I've yet to see their response when I try to take a domain away.

19. Work at Home Mom
    Posted 15 years ago #

I host domains with 1and1 also. Like praneel said, their domain propagation takes a while, but the free privacy is nice. However, once I actually lost out on a domain because 1and1 didn't register it fast enough (someone got it first).

20. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

You're right about the renewal notices (42 days actually). I have only received them a few times though, yet always receive the invoices 7 days before they bill you. It's not like i even use a free email provider that could be blocking or spamming their emails either. I swear their systems and servers are just broken as hell whenever i need them.

Try hosting your nameservers with them (create subdomains like ns1.yourdomain.com) and point them to your server's IP and your domain to the subdomains. I updated them to point to a new IP just a few days ago. No surprise, but i'm still waiting for their nameservers to update the zone info.. it's the same problem i had before that had to be escalated to a level 3 tech and was supposedly fixed. It's true their cheap and the free privacy is great also, so they are fine for storing a bunch of domains, but I wouldn't point them at any sites you care about.

About this Topic