The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

simple redirect to a theme php page (11 posts)

1. bschwarting
    Posted 16 years ago #

how can i redirect to my php pages in my themes? i tried this, but i get errors:

<meta HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" content=0;url="../../wp-content/themes/default/testing.php">

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Use Php's header function.

3. ssbansal
    Posted 16 years ago #

<?php
    $theme_location = "../../wp-content/themes/default/testing.php";

header("Location: $theme_location");

?>

Used the variable as it helps clean code up as i think so. Using a long url in a header() is very hard to understand.

4. bschwarting
    Posted 16 years ago #

ssbansal,

ok, i put that and i get this error:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /homepages/38/htdocs/wp-content/themes/default/testing.php:7) in /homepages/38/htdocs/wp-content/themes/default/testing.php on line 21

ideas?

5. bschwarting
    Posted 16 years ago #

nevermind, moved it to the top and it forwards, but i get the same thing as the HTTP-EQUIV="refresh"

Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_header() in /homepages/38/htdocs/wp-content/themes/default/testing.php on line 1

6. ssbansal
    Posted 16 years ago #

get_header() is a function that isn't in any of the theme files. Either it hasn't been included or it has been called wrong.

Look in the themes PHP files for:

function get_header()

7. bschwarting
    Posted 16 years ago #

this was already in the top of the testing.php page

<?php get_header(); ?>

shouldn't this work?

8. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

get_header is a built-in WP template function.

If you link directly to that file, no it won't run since WP hasn't been initialized.

Instead, make testing.php a custom page template (see the codex), then create a page in wp-admin, use testing.php as the template, and then redirect to that pages permalink.

"Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at "

Put your header(Location call at the very top of the file redirecting, before the html output.

The top of that file would look similar to:

<?php
     if ( something ) {
       header...
    }
    ?>
    <DOCTYPE...
  9. bschwarting
    Posted 16 years ago #

that makes sense. so if you ever want to link or redirect to a theme page "directly" that has WP functions, you have to do it through templates.

that assumption correct?

10. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

That's the easiest way, yes.

You can make custom pages, initialize WP yourself, etc. but it's easier for a single blog to do it that way.

Make a page, use a custom template, do what you want in the template.

11. bschwarting
    Posted 16 years ago #

i like easy! thanks again :)

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by bschwarting
  • Latest reply from bschwarting