The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

strange caching occuring (13 posts)

1. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

hi there,
    this is not a wpmu question but it might be of some interest, as its a very weird thing thats happening to me.

I am almost finished with a small wp-based site for a local newspaper and just noticed this strange behavior:

you open the site with Firefox, you see the latest version of it, you open it with IE6 you see something that looks like it used to look 2 days ago, kind-of like IE6 displays a cached version.

I have no clue whats causing that but this being a newspaper site, its pi**ing me off, people visit to read the latest news.

Its definitely not a server issue, as restarting apache and mysql, does not help me get rid of that old version. So it might be some script I am using on the site, that would cause IE6 to display a cached version?
    refreshing does not help at all, I even inserted no-cache and pragma-cache headers but still, cached version in IE6 and I definitely do not use any caching plugins for wp.

so after all this long talk, here is the URL :-)
    http://www.ronduldesibiu.ro

2. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

I hate to bump, but this is serios. Maybe someone of the more experienced users can give me a little hint?

I disabled these apache2 modules: cache and mem_cache, disabled eaccelerator and still IE6 serves a cached version.
    I also discovered this kind of behaviour on another wp based site on my server.

can someone give me a hint on what else could be causing IE to display a cached version?

###edit###
    of course there is no caching plugin enabled on both wp sites. AND even if Imodify home.php and incldue a little tag, save, I can't see it immediately online :-(

3. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well if it's wp related, you're in the wrong forums. You need to be over at http://wordpress.org

You need to give folks information as to what they need to be checking when they view the site. When I look at it, I don't know if I'm looking at the current version or a cached version. Is there an article I should be looking for that's not found on the cached version but should be on the current one.

You may also want to get with your host as well as your own ISP. Either one of them may have caches in place that you may be using without knowing it.

Good luck

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Good point about an ISP possibility.

While it seems strange, as it works in another browser, a lot of ISP's aren't experts on browsers and such. They're going to do something for IE, and accept that it hits a majority (as unfortunate as that is) of people.

Have you tried it from a different location, that doesn't use that ISP, just to rule it out?

5. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

hey guys,

now that I triggered a first response, here are the other details:

- I own and administer the server.
    - its not a ISP problem, I checked from different locations with different ISPs
    - the only thing I did during the period this started happening was update eaccelerator from 0.9.5.0 to 0.9.5.1 and after checking with google, I did not find any issues

another thing:
    I just seem to have fixed it by inserting these headers into headers.php

<?php
    header("Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate");
    //force a post&pre-check if a page is revisited after 0 seconds
    header("Cache-Control: post-check=0, pre-check=0", false);?>

But now I have another wp based site, which suffers from the same symptoms, so this seems to be server related not site related.

What you can do for a test: use this http://www.ronduldesibiu.ro, have a look at the sidebar where it says something like this: - 145 vizualizari with red, this is the number of views, so after clicking on this articles title, and then opening the homepage in IE6 the numbers should differ between FF and IE6

If this is working now for you, it seems the headers above have fixed it.
    And thx for helping out, I knew this is not the wp forum pretty well, but I also know we have a much higher concentration of "gurus and cracks" around here ;-) well suited for this challenging problem...

6. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

ok I found the culprit and I have no clue why the problem "occured" only now as the reason is really, really old. I had formerly played around with the wp-cache2 plugin and deactivated it. BUT it seems I had completely forgotten this entry, inside wp-config.php:

//Added by WP-Cache Manager plugin
    define('WP_CACHE', false);

after deleting these lines any change I make inside my theme, does reflect immediately on the live site.

Sorry for the fuzz :-(

7. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Not a problem. Glad you figured it out.

Good point about an ISP possibility.

Deal with a couple hundred Comcast endusers and their broken proxy servers....

8. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Been there, done that. It's a mess.

On many occasions, at times it can't even pull up the site (like it doesn't exist). Try explaining that one to a client without technical knowledge. Ouch.

9. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Try explaining that one to a client without technical knowledge.

...who thinks their ISP is white as snow and can't do anything wrong.

10. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

And that windows is the only way to use a computer, and the internet can't be reached without IE?

Um, yeah. lol

People amaze me sometimes...

11. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Glad you finally found it, Ovi. Try not to kick yourself too much, it happens to all of us.

(except for lunabyte, cuz he's perfect. :P )

12. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

well, I am glad I figured it out, the whole thing was a mess, as, like I said, this was a site for a newspaper and who could suffer more from old content than a newspaper?

13. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Actually I wish more newspaper sites would display their older content. My local paper back home just keeps up the last 4 weeks or articles and deletes everything after that. Granted the AP contract makes them do some of that but ever the stuff they write themselves gets deleted.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by Ovidiu
  • Latest reply from theapparatus