The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

MuTags - another solution for site wide tags (135 posts)

1. Konstan
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hmm...I went out for a few minutes and when I came back my server load was over 50, while its usually below 1.

Could this be related? :P I also upgraded all the files in the trac last night. What can I do to see what is causing load spikes?

2. mrhenry
    Posted 14 years ago #

It can't be related to the changes you made to MuTags.php because the part of code you modified is only executed when someone posts a post.

I really don't know how to determine what would be causing the increase in server load.

3. sisrodrigo
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi mrhenry, help plz, error in my server:

Warning: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace]: Unknown modifier 'b' in C:\xampp\htdocs\blogs2\wp-content\mu-plugins\MuTags.php on line 628

4. mrhenry
    Posted 14 years ago #

sisrodrigo could you tell when you got the error msg? Have you changed the default settings? If so, what have you set for the tag base?

5. sisrodrigo
    Posted 14 years ago #

I define "blogs2/blog/tag" by my system this folder blog2 (localhost/blogs2) and put "blogs2/tag" he asks to create a blog called "tag" and if I leave the tag basis only "tag" of Page Not Found...

tks

6. mrhenry
    Posted 14 years ago #

If you want tags to appear like http://siteurl.com/blogs2/tag/randomtag you need to
    keep the tag base as "tag", create a page with the slug tag and tag_results.php as the template and blogs2 as the parent page. If you visit the tag base page, it should say somthing like "you're looking for something that isn't here", but when you add a correct tag after the tag base for example tag/spaghetti, you should see the results.

7. jibstar1uk
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm having problems with this, on each of my blogs the tags sections appears, but with actual tags in it, its just a blank space. does anyone know why this is happening?

8. mrhenry
    Posted 14 years ago #

Are you sure you're using this plugin the right way? It's supposed to get all the tags assigned to posts around your wpmu install and then display a tag cloud and results on your main blog.

9. jibstar1uk
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ahh..my apologies for that, I didn't t realise it was only for the main blog.

10. demonicume
    Posted 14 years ago #

i've gotten it to show on other blogs, but it shows sitewide tags on that blog. its great if youve got a test blog tucked away on your site.

11. italways
    Posted 14 years ago #

it is strange every tag goes to a blank page http://domain.ltd/tag/tagname on my site, can not figure out what is wrong...

12. MrBrian
    Posted 14 years ago #

@italways:
    You need to put the files from the template folder (included in the zip) inside of your homepage's theme. Also, reason your page is blank is because you have display_errors off.

13. lunabyte
    Posted 14 years ago #

"Also, reason your page is blank is because you have display_errors off. "

Which is the way it should be in a publicly accessible site.

14. MrBrian
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yes of course, but if you are testing new plugins or code and having issues, you need to know what errors you're getting before you come to forums for blind help. He did not state whether his site was publicly accessible or not either.

15. lunabyte
    Posted 14 years ago #

Which is why I said in a publicly accessible site, so that if it wasn't, they would know to what I was referring.

16. demonicume
    Posted 14 years ago #

either way, i still think this plugin rocks pretty hard.

17. jimgroom
    Posted 14 years ago #

I agree withdemonicume, this is nice plugin. One of the things I was wondering is whether or not it would be possible to get an RSS feed off of each of these global tags. it would be very useful for the work we are doing at UMW Blogs (http://umwblogs.org).

Regardless, great stuff!

18. mrhenry
    Posted 14 years ago #

I have already made an extension to MuTags, which creates rss feeds for every tag, but someone paid me to do it, so I'm not currently planning on releasing it. Sorry :/

19. jimgroom
    Posted 14 years ago #

If you are interested in selling this extension again, drop me a line at jimgroom_at_gmail.com

20. mrhenry
    Posted 14 years ago #

I uploaded my newest and for now the last version of MuTags to wpmudev.

The biggest change is in how the tag cloud is generated. Before the tags were counted every time they weren't pulled from the cache, but now no counting is required, because the tags have a "count" similar like in wp_term_taxonomy. Also a template tag called the_mutags() was introduced. It can be placed anywhere in the tag results loop to display individual post tags. I haven't done a great deal of testing, but for the little that I did, it worked fine. Have fun with it!

21. MrBrian
    Posted 14 years ago #

I uploaded this over the last version and my tags are no longer displaying :(. I tried making another post and adding tags with no change. I use a custom function on my homepage and it was working fine with the last version

mu_tag_cloud($custom = array(
    'limit' => '24',
    'minsize' => '80',
    'maxsize' => '350',
    'mincolor' => '#8BB9DF',
    'maxcolor' => '#1a6798',
    'orderby' => 'rand',
    ));

22. mrhenry
    Posted 14 years ago #

Did you read the readme for upgrading?

You need to visit dashboard->site admin->mu tags after the previous file is replaced.

23. MrBrian
    Posted 14 years ago #

I don't know why my brain did not read that, because my eyes did. Thanks, all working.

24. qza
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm getting "There was an error" message when I try to import tags or categories. Only tags from main blog were imported, and they're showing "0 posts with %tag% tag". Please help me on this error.

Thank you in advance.

MuTags version: 0.3 (also tried 0.2b)
    PHP version: 4.4.4
    wpmu: 1.3.2

25. mrhenry
    Posted 14 years ago #

The problem has propably something to do with your PHP version.

26. Scytle
    Posted 14 years ago #

mrhenry this is an amazing plugin! I am getting a strange thing happening through. I install the plugin and everything seems to be working really well, then after a while whatever tag has the biggest count suddenly goes nuts and it says in tool tip text says "16777210 things taged with "whatver" it is always 16777210 you can see the error in action at bostonbiker.org

edit:

I am using the latest version of mutags and latest version of wpmu

Am I doing something wrong? And why would it only do this after a couple hours?

27. mrhenry
    Posted 14 years ago #

Scytle: I yet don't know what's causing the tag count values go nuts, but I think they should be fine with the version 0.2b.

I actually haven't tested my plugin on the latest version of wpmu, but I doubt that the version would be causing problems. Also like I earlier said I haven't done that much testing with MuTags 0.3 so there might just be a silly mistake somewhere that I'm yet unaware of.

Edit: Check your wp_global_tags -table to see if there actually exists a number like "16777210". If there is, theres something wrong with the plugin, but if there isn't such a number the problem might be a mysql version problem.

28. Scytle
    Posted 14 years ago #

ok I will look into it thanks for the help :)

29. Scytle
    Posted 14 years ago #

yup found them in there:

Found these numbers on multiple tags

I edited them in the database back down to 2 each, but it didn't seem to update it on the tag cloud? Does it take a while for the cache to reset or something?

30. jsox78
    Posted 14 years ago #

I recently came across MuTags and decided to test out the plug-in on my company's internal WordPress MU infrastructure. After installing the plug-in we noticed an issue where the rich text editor for the WPMU back-end was no longer working.

At this point I have not been able to track down what may be causing the conflict, but as soon as I remove the plug-in the rich text editor begins to work as expected. The following is the current configuration of our WPMU infrastructure -

WPMU v1.3
    LDAP Authentication v1.3.0 (http://sourceforge.net/projects/wpmu-ldap/)
    List All v0.0.5 (http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/List-All)
    PageView v1.4.4 (http://urbangiraffe.com/plugins/pageview/)
    SMTP Mail v0.0.1 (http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/SMTP-Mail)
    WordPress Video Plugin v0.62 ( http://www.daburna.de/blog/2006/12/13/wordpress-video-plugin/)

If anyone has any ideas please feel free to comment.

About this Topic