The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

MuTags - another solution for site wide tags (135 posts)

1. carnold
    Posted 16 years ago #

Every link i click on to download the MU-Tags plugin returns a invalid project error on muwpdev. Could someone direct me to or share the latest release?

Sorry, i'm an id10t....found it

2. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

i used displu:none to eliminate images coming thru on my tag pages... how do i limit the number of words? i notice that the more 'tag' works

3. mrhenry
    Posted 16 years ago #

This is something I use.

I posted this earlier on this thread:

Heres a quick fix to show only a part of each post.
    Just place this in some php file in mu-plugins, or in your themes functions.php file.

function content_intercept($content) {
    //how many characters to show from each post
    $maxchars = "200";
    $newcontent = ''.substr($content, 0, $maxchars).'...';
    return $newcontent;
    }

if(tag_results()) {
    add_filter('the_content', 'content_intercept');
    }

4. bwinn
    Posted 16 years ago #

A couple questions.... Why do I keep getting repeat posts with my tags? Here is an example.

Also, is there a way to get an rss feed from mu tags?

Thanks

5. mrhenry
    Posted 16 years ago #

bwinn: Try using version 0.2b.

There is a way to get rss feeds from mutags. Here's an example.

It's an addon to mutags which I might be releasing in a few months.

6. bwinn
    Posted 16 years ago #

wow, ok great, thanks.

Hey how did you get that smooth ajax login box? I want one!

7. mrhenry
    Posted 16 years ago #

Haha, thats pure js and css :)

Here's how it's done:

function toggle(){
    var loginbox = document.getElementById('loginbox')

if (loginbox.style.display == 'block') {
    loginbox.style.display = 'none'

} else {
    loginbox.style.display = 'block'
    }
    }

Then just give this attribute to a link that you want to use as a "toggler": onclick="this.href='javascript: toggle()'"

8. wep
    Posted 16 years ago #

i test MuTags 0.2b ,when click in one tag:

?PHPSESS=efd1b093b89e6ec4ea440094e197373f

if reload page link correctly

9. Konstan
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thats a nice login thingy, I use an ajax script to archieve something similar.

10. Konstan
    Posted 15 years ago #

Sorry to bump this thread again but I've noticed many 404's in my logs coming from the tags install.

The weird part is that when I click on the tags I do get a list of the posts so I dont know why it randomly gives 404 for valid tags :(

11. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

I notcied if you spit out a list of Pages, it includes the tag results page on that list, and if clicked, returns a null result. Which may give those 404's.

12. PBO
    Posted 15 years ago #

Nice plugging but it does not work on IE --- 404 when clicking on the tag itself so I have to refresh it about 2 or 3 times

13. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Um, I've used it recently on a site and had people check it in IE. Worked for us.

14. wildebees
    Posted 15 years ago #

A great plgin, worked out of the box for me.

One question though. How hard would it be to display, not a tag cloud, but an alphabetical list of all tags?

15. mrhenry
    Posted 15 years ago #

wildebees: Not hard, but it requires some editing of the code.

Open up mutags.php in a text editor and find the function named "mu_tag_cloud" near the bottom. Scroll down a bit and you should find a part with some "echo" statements. Thats the bit you need to edit.

16. wildebees
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks Mr Henry. All advice is much appreciated

17. mrhenry
    Posted 15 years ago #

To be more specific you need to add an "echo '
    <ul>';" tag before the foreach loop and the same with </ul>
    after the loop and add
    <li> and </li>
    before and after the tag links. Then you need to go to you mutags settings page and select to arrange tags by name.

18. Gaboinked
    Posted 15 years ago #

Anyone have a suggestion on how to get either the author_id or email for each tag post so the Gravatar for each post on the tag_results.php can be displayed using get_avatar( user_email , 30 ); for example?

19. Gaboinked
    Posted 15 years ago #

No one willing to help with getting the Author Avatar for each tagged post result?

20. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

Gabo ..this what I use in tag_results.php

<?php echo get_avatar( $post->post_author, 48 ); ?>
  21. Designophobia
    Posted 15 years ago #

I used the function posted above to limit the number of characters per post to 200. If it ends a post in the middle of a link, it breaks the template. How do I remove the formatting and links in the post diplay on the tag page?

Also, does anyone know how to make the tag links from the subdomain blogs link to the main blog's tag pages like WordPress.com does? I asked on another post and no one knew an answer for that.

22. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've found another little odddity. I tagged a post with "93" as I was writing about my Saab. When I hover my mouse over it it shows http://canalplan.blogdns.com/tag/93 as the URL but when I click on it I end up on http://canalplan.blogdns.com/blog/2007/06/03/tagging/

So I think there must be some weird redirect going on somewhere.

23. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

It doesn't like numbers.

I thought it might be length related so I created a post with the following tags:

1, 12, 123, 1234, a, bb, ccc, dddd

The character based tags work but not the numeric.

Time to go digging in the code methinks!

24. pbearne
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am seeing bit of problem with 2.6 all the revisions are showing on the tag results page not just the last

25. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've just noticed that the tags work fine but the pages are delivered with a page title of "Page Not Found" for some reason.

26. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

k, dumb question:

I just tried, making a page with the slug taguri, used a defautl apge tempalte, that displays mu_tag_cloud()
    instead of the_content but when I browse to the page, I get: Results for
    Not Found
    Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here.

as if I would be looking at a results page and not at the apge with the tag cloud.

then I decided I had enough for tonight, and made teh results apge into a draft, and when I surf to the page using the page id not pretty permalinks Isee tags on it !?

compeltely confused and using the latest version of this plugin. will try again tomorrow and post urls here...

27. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

ok, here is more info:

if I publish the page showing my tag cloud it doesn't work, see screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/DRiGnrytrF

if I make the page into a draft, it works, screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/7v86pQQ1Qh

any ideas what to make of this behaviour?

btw. using the latest modified version by dsader from http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/MuTags and btw. the import tags and import categories doesn't work on my installation. New saved posts update the tags indeed.

On the results page for any tag, the links to the psots containing those tags is of the numeric format rather than pretty permalinks.

28. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

one more issue: the tag_results.php tempalte file, needs some further modding, I noticed this function: function get_the_mutags() {
    global $wpdb;
    $id = get_the_id();
    $tags = &get_posttags($id);
    $thetags = "";
    foreach ($tags as $tag) {
    $thetags .= 'category_nicename.'">'.$tag->cat_name.' ';
    }

which displays the posts tags underneath just appends the tags to the current url, thus leading to wrong links. can anyone help make this into working urls? I am not sure about the syntax, it should be something like TagOpt['tag_base'].'/'.$tag->category_nicename

29. Parmen
    Posted 15 years ago #

Probably I miss something crucial because the links on the first page lead me to a wasted page which would be nice to redirect to the actual page of the plugin:

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/MuTags

Thank you

30. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

When I installed it I put the MUTags file in the mu plugins folder and created a new page called tag_results.php in the theme folder for the main blog (which might need a little editing to fit in with the style of your these) and set the slug to be tag and it works (well apart from if you give it numbers which seem to upset it) :

http://canalplan.blogdns.com/tag/chester

Not sure why you have taguri in you URL.

About this Topic