The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Upgraded to 1.3, Categories won't display (18 posts)

1. tkreucher
    Posted 16 years ago #

I upgraded from 1.2.5a to 1.3 tonight on a SUSE SLES 10.1 box, following the excellent instructions provided on this and the WordPress site (which are linked in the WPMU upgrade instructions.) I'm running Apache 2, MySQL 5 and PHP 5.

Everything is working great so far, with the exception of Categories. I can see the categories in the database under the tables (e.g., wp_2_categories), but on the site itself, there are no categories under Manage -> Categories, nor are any showing on posts that were previously there. All of the posts are "uncategorized" but even that is not a category on the Manage -> Categories. There's simply nothing in that list.

I do have a backup of the database and site prior to any upgrade actions being taken.

Has anyone else seen this category issue? What did I do wrong? :) I'm not sure what else to post information wise, so just let me know what else is needed to diagnose this, if anything. I can't imagine my apache logs are going to help here, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for any help or insights you can provide.

2. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Did you run the category upgrade as well?

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=6408

edit: It's a seperate upgrade that you run after the blog upgrade. It was a sticky for quite sometime.

3. tkreucher
    Posted 16 years ago #

Aha! I hadn't seen that until now. :) Thanks for hippin' me to it. I will give that a go and see how things do from there! :D Thanks again!

4. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

The download package *really* needs an update. :-/

5. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Agreed but that upgrade I believe is in the download already. You had to come to the forums to see that.

6. tkreucher
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hrmm..Any idea if the latest download package actually includes it? I downloaded it this past Friday.

7. projectdesigns
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yeah I'm having the same problem. And the taxonomy script is really not working out for me.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yeah, it is in the download.

9. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Actually I believe it's not as that was the issue PD raised.

I included a link in this thread to pull it down.

10. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well, it was in the download I got & installed fresh last week. Just sayin'. :D

Maybe people can't find it?

11. projectdesigns
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok here is the problem I'm having with that script that @theapparatus pointed out. The script was actually included with 1.3 it's in the MU plugin directory. I uncommented it, and then go to the front page of my site which is

http://dragonpress.dragon.k12.pa.us

I added the ?upgradetaxonomy=1 to the end of the URL

Nothing really happens when you hit enter but people said nothing will. So I go to my DB which I am using MySQL administrator. There is no table called site_options, but people said look in site_meta so I looked in there, there is no column called upgradetaxonomysecret.

So where is the key? Or am I doing something wrong?

12. projectdesigns
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have tried everything, the secret key does not appear in my database. I really need to get this working, I have teachers that rely on this services.

Thanks,
    Ben

13. projectdesigns
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok I got the secret key and I did the update taxonomy script with the key, and it went through all the blogs and updated them. However the categories are still not working, and the database still has the old category tables.

I ran that script, why didn't it fix it?

14. Vimm
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have a similar issue as well. I ran the upgrade from the admin page but some blogs didn't get upgraded and still have the wp_categories table. Is there a way to force an upgrade of specific blogs? Is there an error log that might indicate why certain blogs didn't upgrade?

15. projectdesigns
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok I ran the script again, and it still doesn't work so I looked in the PHP Error Log file and this is what I'm getting:

"[17-Dec-2007 07:01:00] WordPress database error: [Table 'wordpress.wp_1_terms' doesn't exist]
    SELECT t.*, tt.*, tr.object_id FROM wp_1_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_1_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_1_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category', 'post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (7, 6, 5, 4, 3) ORDER BY t.name ASC

[17-Dec-2007 07:01:06] WordPress database error: [Table 'wordpress.wp_32_terms' doesn't exist]
    SELECT t.*, tt.*, tr.object_id FROM wp_32_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_32_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_32_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category', 'post_tag') AND tr.object_id IN (23, 22, 15, 12, 10, 8, 7, 5, 3) ORDER BY t.name ASC

[17-Dec-2007 07:01:06] WordPress database error: [Table 'wordpress.wp_32_terms' doesn't exist]
    SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_32_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_32_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_32_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category') AND tr.object_id IN (23) ORDER BY t.name ASC

SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_32_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_32_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_32_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category') AND tr.object_id IN (22) ORDER BY t.name ASC

SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_32_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_32_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_32_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category') AND tr.object_id IN (15) ORDER BY t.name ASC

SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_32_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_32_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_32_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category') AND tr.object_id IN (12) ORDER BY t.name ASC

SELECT t.*, tt.* FROM wp_32_terms AS t INNER JOIN wp_32_term_taxonomy AS tt ON tt.term_id = t.term_id INNER JOIN wp_32_term_relationships AS tr ON tr.term_taxonomy_id = tt.term_taxonomy_id WHERE tt.taxonomy IN ('category') AND tr.object_id IN (10) ORDER BY t.name ASC"

16. projectdesigns
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok I found out what the problem was. I had the entire wordpress directory password protected and that authentication was messing up the normal wordpress update script.

As for that taxonomy-sync script it is not longer needed with the release of 1.3

17. tkreucher
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yes, the taxonomy script is no longer required with the release of 1.3. I found out that my problem was my own terrible memory! I thought I had bumped up the memory_limit on my php.ini file on that particular box (I had already done so on all the others) but I had overlooked it. So the upgrade script would appear to run, but not all of the time, it would sometimes just hang. There was an error in the Apache error log indicating a memory error, and that's what ended up being the cause of my upgrade woes. Once I upped that limit, the upgrade script ran properly, including the categories displaying properly!

Hope this helps others who might run into the same issue. :)

18. flufftronix
    Posted 16 years ago #

So I just got around to upgrading a WPMU install yesterday, and had to deal with this problem. I ran that taxonomy script—without needing to, I learned—and somehow all my database versions got switched to 6124 without actually being upgraded. Just reporting that switching them to an earlier version to kickstart upgrade.php worked fine..

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by tkreucher
  • Latest reply from flufftronix