The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Customize feedwordpress plugin (25 posts)

1. dinamic
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've tried feedwordpress plugin http://projects.radgeek.com/feedwordpress/, and it's a very good plugin but now i want to know if it's possible to get more thing using it.

Just four comments to know how to improve some new things on the plugin.

1. I want to display in every post displayed a intro of few words, for example characters. And finally a “read more” link to the full post in the original blog syndicated. Do you know if it’s possible? any “code” to add to my template?

2. Now the plugin displays “comments” and it’s linked to the original blog comments zone. Is it possible to show the exactly number of comments in the original blog post, like “6 comments”. And of course be linked to the comments zone. Do you know if it’s possible? any “code” to add to my template?

3. I’ve read your API and documentation several times but i don’t find how to display this info: I want to syndicate may be 20 blogs and i want to show only the last post of each one. So in the syndication page i will find only 20 posts, one of each blog, but each one must be the latest one. Do you know if it’s possible? any “code” to add to my template?

4. Finally, in point 3 i’ve wrote that i’m going to syndicate 20 blogs displaying the last post. It’s possible to syndicate 20 and only display the last 10 posts updated with the same criteria (only display the last post of each blog, showing in this case only 10 of 20?) Do you know if it’s possible? any “code” to add to my template?

THANKS A LOT!

This would be great to use in any wordpress installation and of course in a wpmu installation. I think this could be possible because the api is very customizable but i don’t find how to do it or the way to do it.

Any help are going to be vry appreciated.

Thanks a lot, regards, i’m waiting a response from you. ;)

2. sheatsb
    Posted 16 years ago #

This is more a wordpress.org question, or something you contact the author about, BTW. But you're here now.

It works really well in an MU install, in the "plugins" folder, not MU-plugins. Then each user can activate it themselves.

1. Go here FeedWordPress API. Charles explains the template tags and mods you can make to the plugin. The title of the post is the direct link to the author if you set it up correctly in your syndicate→options panel. That solves the read more problem.
      The word count issue can be solved by changing the loop and calling `<?php the_excerpt(); ?>' instead of the post. This shows the first 120 words of each post.
    2. Since FWP gets the content from the feed, I would believe that updating comment counts is possible.
    3. What do you mean? Do you not want to show more than one post form the same blog on the front page? With this plugin, that's inevitable, because you're pulling feed content. Change the number of posts on the front page and see if that helps. Or consider using Planet instead.
    4. Yeah, it seems you're going way beyond the plugin in terms of needs. One hack is to change how many posts show up on the front page: go to options→reading, then remove any page navigation links that exist in your theme's index template, and you an instant single page that will show the latest post across all feeds.
    5. If you're trying to aggregate across a wordpress mu install, there is a different way to resolve that issue. Just search for recent posts and find a solution that way.
  3. dinamic
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi sheatsb, and thanks to reply me! ;)

I only want to use the plugin for the main blog of the wpmu installation.

In relation to your great answers, i want to specify more things because i may not specfied it well.

1.Lovely solution for the intro. But i will need too the "read more". Some users/readers click on this link and not on the main title of the post. So i will have two links to the same "post" but it's necessary to be more usable. Is this possible? I think i only need to add this link but i don't know how and the code to add.

2. Yeah, i think the same! But i don't know how to add this. Any idea? solution? code to add? ... It would be nice this add.

3. I mean that i only want to display the last post of each blog, but only the last post.
    For example if i've got 10 blogs all of them must be displayed on the main page displaying the last post of them. So i one of the bogs was updated 3 times in a day, I only want to display the last post of each blog, not the three posts. And the rest of blogs must display the last post of each one.
    So i one blog was updated three months ago and all of them today, this blog updated three months ago will be displayed in the main page but the last one.
    Do you understand me?

4. Good solution, thanks.

5. I've tried to search and started some other posts but no body can help me with this question: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=7015&page&replies=11
    See the last comment, there is the problem.

I hope you can help me with this questions, i will be glad to hearing from you! ;)

Regards and thanks

4. stevejbayer
    Posted 16 years ago #

For Number 1-

In the index.php of your theme, just under the line

<?php the_excerpt(); ?>

add the line

<p>#more-<?php the_ID(); ?>" title="Read the rest of this entry">[Read more →]</p>

Pastebin link for the code: http://pastebin.org/11931

You can substitute [Read more →] with an image link if you prefer a visual cue for the read more link. (eg. http://angloindianblogs.com/index.php/feed-page/)

I'm not sure how to do number 2 but thats something I'm trying to figure out myself.

5. dinamic
    Posted 16 years ago #

Oh, thanks! ;)

Number 1, it's been resolved. :)

Number 2, it's pending to resolve. (display the exactly number of comments of ech post and link to the comments zone in each blog)

Number 3, it's pending to resolve too. (only display the last post of each blog aggregated).

So now the most important problem is HOW TO SET the number of posts displayed in the main page of each blog.
    Because when i add a new blog to feedwordpress the system imports the last 10 posts of each blog. And not only the last one. So if i access to my blog page i'm going to llok a lot of entries and not only the last one of each blog.

I want to display ONLY the last post of each blog listed in the feedwordpress panel administration. Like this way we are going to have a main page displaying only the last activity of each blog aggregated.
    I've looked to the API, looked to the code and i don't find how to set this important option.

Any help?

Finally, to show the number of posts to each post and be linked to them, do you know if it's possible? any code?

So, now remains to resolve points 2, 3 i 4.

Thanks! i think we can all resolve this doubts and help the community.

Best regards and thankyou very much! ;)

6. stevejbayer
    Posted 16 years ago #

Number 2 actually does link to the comment zone for comments from wordpress powered blogs. Linking to the comment zone for blogs from blogger.com doesn't seem to work.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Bloggerblogspot doesn't have comment feeds, so if you're trying to pull that, you're stuck. As well, the blogger import tool doesn't snag comments either.

8. dinamic
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yes, but the links does not display the number of comments. (also in wordpress powered blogs)

Is this possible?

For example, "6 comments" in place of "comments".

Thanks! ;)

9. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

try this. see it in action here on my front age.

10. dinamic
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks! but there is a little problem :( i can't access to the link of YourSERVER/STREATCOWPMU.php.txt

Can you tell me other url? or attach the archive just here? Thanks a lot! your site displays what i'm lloking for.

Waiting a response from you!

Finally, HOW can i fix to only display the last post of each blog and not all the feeds of each blog.
    For example if one log was updated three times a day i only want to show the last post and discard the other two. So in the main site i will show to my users the last ost of each blog aggregated, in thsi way if i've aggregated 15 blogs i will show only 15 posts: the last of each blog. the last of all in the top and the first in the bottom.

Any ideas? looking at the API... i can't find any solution :(

Thanks and regards! Hope you can answer. ;)

11. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

HOW can i fix to only display the last post of each blog and not all the feeds of each blog.

all configured within the plugin. there are actually a few plugins that do this. i just prefer this one

12. dinamic
    Posted 16 years ago #

Lovely, i'm going to try it! ;)

When the pluguin says: "Use $wpmuBaseTablePrefix instead of "mu_" to access the DB"

What dois it mean? I need to change in the DB the prefix mu for $wpmuBaseTablePrefix? Or what is this sentence?

Thanks, regards! ;)

13. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

from what i understand, that was a correction made in the plugin from the original. no need to worry about that. maybe Andrea will see this and correct me, but this seems to be a mod of a plugin by she and her hubby. this is the proper way to refer to the database.
    ==edit==
    no, you don't need to to edit your DB. just let it ride, brotha.

14. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yep, it's a mod of one of ours. The line referred to was a coding comment, so yeah. You can ignore it. :)

(Someday we'll clean up some of our stuff...)

15. dinamic
    Posted 16 years ago #

Oh, lovely!

I'm going to try it in a wpmu installation and then i write here about the experience! ;)

Thanks a lot! Keep in contact :)

16. dinamic
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi, i've tried the plugin installed in mu-plugins and then in plugins folder.
    In both cases there is no results in my page.

so i've got some questions, may be you can help us! ;)

1. Does this plugin works for a subdomains blogs? For example, my system is under "blogs.server.com", and each individual blog has this url "blogs.server.com/name".
    I've seen in the main page of DEMONICUME user and they use subdomains, so i think this could work. But do i need to do any changes? can you expecie me?

2. In the plugin i can read that i only need to add this code where i want the results appear: <?php display_content_of_most_recent_posts_from_all_blogs(10); ?>
    But, if i add it nothing happens.
    In a main page, for example, index.php or home.php is it necessary to add any wordpress code?
    Any example of index.php page that works with this code? because may be i'm not adding the code within the exactly loop.

3. Does the plugin must be installed in the mu-plugins directory?

4. The sentence $wpmuBaseTablePrefix appears also in the plugin code, may this disturb the results and it's necessary to change it for "mu_"?

A lot of thanks!!!!!! ;) Waiting a esponse from you Andrea and demonicume, thanks a lot!

17. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Are the blogs marked as public? If not, the posts won't show up.

18. dinamic
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks, this was an essential tip! ;) (and very logical too! sorry for this "silly" question).

I'm going to test the plugin and i will report here to you. ;)

Thanks, this plugin really really rocks!!! :)

Finally, may be this is not a question about hte plugin, but how can i add an image of every auhtor to be displayed with this sentence? : show_author_thumb

(the sentence show_author_thumb is in the plugin)

Regards, waiting a response from you. :)

19. dinamic
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi again! :)

I've tried the plugin recommended by demonicume and at the momment is the best i've seen. Thanks demonicune and andrea. ;)

But i've got a problem to resolve and i've seen a post in the fourums about this issue: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=6953&page&replies=11 but it's closed to new posts and the code indicated i don't know if it's valid.

So i'm using WPMU Avatar plugin to add a Profile picture to each author. My goal is to display next to the post intro the avatar of the author in sitewide lastets posts.

If i look into the other post i can copy this code:
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=6953&page&replies=11#post-41387

But is still working? And when i need to add it?

DEMONICUME, i've seen your site and i think you use this avatar system and there are displayed the avatar + post. How you did it? (final code?)

Any help would be a big advance for us! ;)

Thanks, regards and waiting a response from you! ;)

20. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

my bad, i meant to get back to you. i wasn't ignoring you, i just have a 2 year old AND a wife. neither understand why i work on computers all day then come home and work all night...

back on point. i worked out a mod of that plugin and the avatar. i couldn't get it to pull the right avatars though. Enter Andrea: she showed me the light in that other thread. Then Betraise finished it off. Now i'm working on adding CSS. email me and i'll shoot you the files. you gotta promise that if you improve this mod of a mod of a plugin that i didn't code, you'll share with me.

admin at realsportsbloggers.com

Curt

21. dinamic
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hello demonicume, and thank you very much to reply me! (sometimes i'm very busy too, more than i want!!:( )

Be sure that i'm going to look your mod and if i improve any mod i will share with you, sure! ;)

I'm going to work on it and as well in CSS because my knowledge of CSS is better than php.

I'm going to test the plugn just now, you will recieve my news, sure! :)

Thanks again to all of us, this is one of the best user forums i've ever posted, this really rocks and help.

22. amiralis
    Posted 16 years ago #

dear dinamic & stevejbayer,

i was looking for the same solution that dinamic posted the question for (i m talking about problem no. 1) but the solution stevejbayer you gave seems that my problem would be solved but the template/theme i m using doesn't have this line "<?php the_excerpt(); ?>" so what should i do. is there any other alternative.

23. stevejbayer
    Posted 16 years ago #

Didn't see the post till now, just switch out <?php the_content(); ?> in your theme and add <?php the_excerpt(); ?> instead.

24. amiralis
    Posted 16 years ago #

still not getting it.. :( my hard luck...

25. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Without a link, we can't really help.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by dinamic
  • Latest reply from andrea_r