The MU forums have moved to

Moving WPMU between subdomains (5 posts)

  1. mrtomservo
    Posted 15 years ago #


    I'm building a site that uses WPMU to manage about five blogs on a corporate website. I built the website in a development area, say, at Now, I want to move the site to The WordPress installation lives in the /blog/ folder.

    The server is a Mac OS X server. I added a new web server with the address, and pointed it to the very same folder containing the site files for So no file transfer was necessary, and all permissions are retained, because the files didn't move.

    What I tried to do was first edit each blog through the admin tool, but quickly realized after the first one that it wasn't going to work. I replaced all instances of with, and once I submitted the changes, the admin tool wouldn't run anymore, immediately redirecting my browser to Poopie.

    So, I fired up my MySQL DB manager, and dumped the contents of the database into a .sql file. Then, I used a text editor to find all instances of and replace them with

    Still, when I try and visit, it redirects me to Trying a URL for anything living inside WordPress bumps the browser back out to

    (Interestingly, I took the same SQL dump, and restored any and all URLs that I'd changed back to The site was restored just fine back at, which was a great relief to see that I hadn't permanently damaged something. But obviously still doesn't work.)

    Did I miss a step? I tried following the instructions here, but to no avail.

    Any help is appreciated. Many thanks!

    (Note that I'm using "" as a placeholder for the actual domain name that I'm using. Derp.)

  2. cclinton
    Posted 15 years ago #

    I am performing the same step. Any word on how to do this yet? I did find this online but am not sure it is the same with wpmu:

  3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

    Now I admit this is just a stab in the dark here, but I do see one issue.

    "Then, I used a text editor to find all instances of and replace them with"

    MU strips out the www and I know when you put that in on install, it does wonky things.
    So I'd try it again, but use instead of

  4. mrtomservo
    Posted 15 years ago #

    andrea_r, you're a genius. That's exactly what it was. I went back to the original MySQL dump, found "" and replaced it with just "".

    And voĆ­la, it works, as if by magic.

    THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help! Three cheers for andrea_r!

  5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

    Yer welcome. :) That was just the one thing I saw that could cause an issue.

About this Topic

  • Started 15 years ago by mrtomservo
  • Latest reply from andrea_r