The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Admin's comments held for moderation (8 posts)

1. adamrbrown
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've searched and didn't find anything on this. Here's the annoying issue:

On one of the blogs on my WPMU site (where I'm the admin), I've noticed that the moderation checks don't appear to take account of my role as admin. I've set the option to hold a comment for moderation if it has two or more links. That works fine--when a visitor to my blog posts a comment with lots of links, it gets held.

But why does WP hold comments from me (posted while I'm logged in as an admin) for moderation? Obviously, if I'm the one writing the comment, WP should infer that I approve the comment.

Is there an easy way to ensure that comments from logged-in admins get automatic approval, without passing them through the moderation (and akismet too, I'm guessing) checks?

2. adamrbrown
    Posted 16 years ago #

If anyone has any ideas... I'm still looking.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

So... the ones getting trapped in moderation, do they have more than 2 links?

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I believe Adam is referring to any "normal" comment, and that if the blog has something like "user must have approved comment" or similar selected, then even an administrator (whether site admin, or the blog admin for that blog) has their initial comment held for moderation.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

gotta admit, if that's the case WP, has been like that for a loooong time. Doesn't make sense, but there it is.

6. adamrbrown
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hmm. I take your comments to mean that there is no easy fix? Maybe if I get some extra time I'll see if I can't come up with a patch. It's always seemed to me that the comments table should keep track of the commenter's user id (if signed in) anyway.

@andrea: Yes, the comments do have more than 2 links. They're being held for moderation because they meet the moderation criteria. What I'm wondering is why the moderation rules don't get bypassed entirely if I'm signed in as an admin. I suspect that the situation lunabyte describes would also occur, although I'm not sure.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'd go back and follow the stand-alone WP code and see if they've fixed it or addressed it there. If not, file a trac ticket, don't mention MU. It'll eventually works its way into MU.

I agree - if I'm admin, my comments should be approved regardless.

8. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Although... something MU related (which maybe you could twist Donncha into looking at) is also allowing a site admin to be automatically approved as well. And hey, while he's in there...

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by adamrbrown
  • Latest reply from lunabyte