The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Default pages for a new blog/blog owner (12 posts)

1. boonika
    Posted 16 years ago #

Step 1:
    Someone creates a blog and, by default, gets contributor (or author, subscriber,...) role. I managed to solve this issue inside wpmu-functions.php thanks to other MU Forum members.

Step 2:
    I don't want those users (blog owners) to be able to create new pages but I do want them to be able to edit 3 or more default pages (About, Location, Images,...). For example, you create a new blog, user.example.com. When entering Admin area You notice that there is no 'Write Page' option but there is 'Manage Pages' option to edit those 3 or more default pages.

How do I create pages which will be default pages in all future blogs (not in main blog - example.com, which should have all usual settings).

How do I add 'edit_pages' capability (or any other) for 'Contributor' (or author, subscriber,...)?

Or even better. How do I remove capabilities from 'Administrator' or 'Editor' level users.

PLEASE BE PRECISE; FILE, LOCATION, ROW,...
    Plugins are also welcome but I already tried 'Role Manager' and had some compatibility problems with NEXTGEN and other plugins. So I prefer hacks.

Thanks in advance.

2. boonika
    Posted 16 years ago #

Anyone?

3. boonika
    Posted 16 years ago #

Right now I'm reading 'Default Pages & Content' article found on this forum. I hope I'll find answer to my first question there. But I still need to solve 'change capability' issue.

Cheers

4. Mattz
    Posted 16 years ago #

What page did you found ? Maybe we can help further.

5. boonika
    Posted 16 years ago #

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=5885&page&replies=13

But it didn't help me much. I'll keep on searching. It must be somewhere;)

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Might want to start here for what users can do:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities

Although, if you really do not want users to have admin capabilities on each blog, you may be far better off with seperate single WP installs.

For the default pages & content created, look in wpmu-functions.php.

7. boonika
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for advice Andrea but I don't think that multiple single installation is right way to do it. Let's say I run 400 single WP installation. How would I be able to administer all of them.

Anyway, I found the solution for that part of the story, inside wpmu-functions.php but now I'm trying to set new default capabilities for new blog owners who are actually blog contributors. To be more specific, I want to give them 'edit_page' capability. So, if anyone knows how to deal with this... I'll keep digging inside all relevant .php files while waiting for answer. Cheers!

---

Oh yes, not to forgot the most important one:
    How do I create 3 or more pages which will be default pages in all future blogs (not in main blog - example.com, which should have all usual settings).

8. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well, if you're up to 400 then yes, MU is the way to go. :)

For the last bit, I said above - look in wpmu-functions.php.

9. boonika
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks Andrea. That's the only thing I can do right now:) I thought maybe someone before had the same problem so I don't have to bother experimenting. Just to make one thing clear, you say that solution for my 'default pages' issue should also be inside wpmu-functions.php? Or?

10. MrBrian
    Posted 16 years ago #

She said it twice, sheesh.

11. boonika
    Posted 16 years ago #

You're right MrBrain. Sheesh is the right word to use. I feel dumb...

Thank you all. As soon as I find a solution I'll post it here.

12. saniyan
    Posted 16 years ago #

in wpmu-functions.php
    find // First page
    just duplicate the $wpdb->query (Whole line)
    that will create a new page.

ooooooops.
    here it explained well
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=5885&page&replies=13

About this Topic