The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Domains and WPMU (11 posts)

1. DailyTestimony
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok so I've read this: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=3275&page&replies=57

But it leave me with questions, perhaps drmike can answer.

In parking domains, is there any method to automate that?

Is their anyway to automate removal of an entry from .htaccess if somone no longer 'subscribes' to domain hosting, as I will be adding this as a paid and-on

Now I at least know I can automate the changes within the DB with some queries, and should be able to intergrate with paypal subscriptions and IPN to manage this, but if possible I don't want the user to have to wait on me to do anything.

2. MrBrian
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm interested in this also. I think a lot of people are interested in developing a plugin that allows users to purchase top level domains for their blog. It just makes sense with MU, I know i would definitely pay for it.

3. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

While for a few domains .htaccess might be OK, but the more you put in there, the slower your site will run.

To pull off something like that isn't really hard, but it isn't something that can be accomplished on shared hosting.

A more involved process is DNS, and getting the user (meaning their domain) in and out of that process. It "can" be done, though. However, again, it isn't something that can be accomplished on shared hosting.

Note, we're talking about automation, not manually.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Although the follwing plugin is a but buggy (at least I found it was), it might get you in the right direction:
    http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Multi-Site-Manager

5. DailyTestimony
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hmm I see, well as of now my sites on a shared hosting account bacsue it's new, small, and i'm broke. The cheapest VPS my current host offers is $35 per month.

I am kinda interested to see if anyone knows a better (mabe cheaper?) place for VPS hosting? With full root or administrator access. I don't care if it's Linux or Windows but if its preinstalled with PHP and MySQL that saves me the pain and is prefered.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

$35/m for a decent VPS & running MU sounds about right and a good start. I use futurehosting.biz.

Note: you do NOT want a Windows server.

7. DailyTestimony
    Posted 16 years ago #

ah someone anti-microsoft I see...lol

I actually prefer windows, as is is more userfriendly it makes my job easier

THe only downside it the host has to license a copy which costs them more than getting some free OS like linux and that makes hosting more expensive for me.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

No, while I am not fond of Windows in general, in this particular case, a Windows server is *not* recommended. There's dozen of threads here with people having isssues trying to get it running, and the requirements list Apache.

9. DailyTestimony
    Posted 16 years ago #

WAMP :p

10. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

:P :D

11. MrBrian
    Posted 16 years ago #

Check out webhostintalk.com for cheap plans, but $35 is an honest price for a cpanel based VPS. I really like lxadmin/hyperVM and VPS packages that use it are considerably cheaper with the lowest memory footprint of any other. I run my wpmu blog on it, and i even got it to work with lighttpd.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by DailyTestimony
  • Latest reply from MrBrian