The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

unmanaged vps versus shared hosting (5 posts)

1. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

i'm looking to take my next plunge headlong into the unknown. i'm looking for any VPS stories/advice, managed or unmanaged. keep in mind, my site is for FUN, not for profit - it'll be ok if i break it everyone once in a while. i may just wanna see how long i can keep an unmanaged VPS up without any real experience.

ok, hit me.

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'd go with Future Hosting. Their VPS offerings are affordable and the support staff are excellent. You can go with managed or unmanaged.

Thanks,
    Andrew

3. moorezilla
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've been using slicehost.com for about a month and have been happy with their vps offering so far. If you don't have an essential site and you're willing to learn, I don't see much drawback from choosing an unmanaged vps solution.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm seconding what andrew said - http://futurehosting.biz/ It'll be fun times, that's for sure. :D

5. jeffliu
    Posted 15 years ago #

the price of a vps is low, starts from $10 a month, so why don't you consider a vps? Besides that, with VPS you get root access ..that help you to get SSH access to modify things as per your need ...which is not possible on shared account.

I'm using vps hosting at in2net.com, been with them for a while, haven't experienced any downtime, server is fast.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by demonicume
  • Latest reply from jeffliu