The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Database backup (17 posts)

1. malandry
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi,

Since, my MU database is growing and growing I am facing some issue with mysqldump backup because there's too many table into the database.

How do you guys do it? Do you have a special backup script to share or is there a plugin available ?

Cheers!

2. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

before I swtiched to multiple dbs, I just went into phpmyadmin and backed up part of the db at a time. you don't have to select *all* the tables at once. ;)

Or, the really geeky way is to do a mysqyldump command line (using ssl).

3. malandry
    Posted 16 years ago #

How do you do multiple-dbs?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

I used this:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/project/Multiple-Databases

Also! I'm in NB. *waves from below*

5. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

My host backs up my site nightly for me. :-) If you have some type of control panel too - usually you can set it to backup your entire site and database.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Even if your host backs up - it's good practise to have your own as well.

7. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

I agree andrea_r. My host backs up nightly, and then I have plesk backing up nightly, and then I backup to my computer once weekly. Would you recommend backing up more then that?

8. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Eh, I think you're covered for a site your size. :)

9. jshare
    Posted 15 years ago #

Are there any indicators to how close an WPMU single-db install is to hitting the wall for a given context? I.e., I'd rather not discover after it's too late that I can no longer do backups the old-fashioned way.

Also, I'm using automysqlbackup. There a number of plugins for doing WP backups but are there any that are specific for WPMU or at least compatible? I checked wpmudev and found zilch.

10. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Are there any indicators to how close an WPMU single-db install is to hitting the wall for a given context

It's more of a server issue actually and how things are setup. Hosting platforms as well. I know on one CPanel box I used to be on, there was a file limit of 10k files within a single subdirectory. Some quick math (10k / 8 [Each blog has 8 db tables] / 3 [Each table gets 3 files]) gets you an answer of 416 blogs until you max things out.

Really depends on how things are setup. Best bet would be to get with your host.

11. jshare
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks for that quick reply. Noted.

What are you using to backup your dbs?

12. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

FedEx :)

Sorry, very old joke among system admins. Some anonymous client back in the early days of the net went to an anonymous consultant with this request:

"I have 650 megs (See? Very old joke. I can put that on my iPod Touch without issue.) of data that I need to back up from my office in City A to my office in City B each and every day. What data transfer method and/or data connection would you recommend?"

Answer: FedEx.

But anyway...

When I was on CPanel, we were using a "bug" to help us out here. If you know the name of another client's database along with their MySQL username and password, you can access that database from another account on the box. Our method was to place the MySQL database(s) into a separate user account, use the information from that second account to allow the main account to access it, and then just do a complete account backup on that second account to get the databases. Since the second account only had the databases, it was easy to do.

It's a bit of a concept to understand but it worked well for us.

Some other backends allow this while other hosting backends are *cough* more secure and don't allow this.

I see it as a bug myself but since it;s present, it would be foolish not to use it if is helps.

13. jshare
    Posted 15 years ago #

Funny. In one of my dev teams not too long ago, we used to laugh about stories of companies backing up diligently only to discover they couldn't restore. Ouch.

14. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Run a cron job to do mysqldumps. :)

15. josephd
    Posted 15 years ago #

Quote:
    ---------
    When I was on CPanel, we were using a "bug" to help us out here. If you know the name of another client's database along with their MySQL username and password, you can access that database from another account on the box. Our method was to place the MySQL database(s) into a separate user account, use the information from that second account to allow the main account to access it, and then just do a complete account backup on that second account to get the databases. Since the second account only had the databases, it was easy to do.
    ------------
    This is a great idea.

16. jshare
    Posted 15 years ago #

Andrea, in the end I'm using automysqlbackup and it works fine, being a glorified cron of mysqldumps. But I'd still prefer to have something in the Admin GUI, especially since there are numerous backup plugins for WP already out there

17. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've heard wp-backup works in MU. haven't tried it, you might have to hide it from users.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by malandry
  • Latest reply from andrea_r