The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

cant get any help.. (16 posts)

1. memegan
    Posted 16 years ago #

I posted my issue in Themes and Templates, but haven't had a response. Can someone direct me if I need to post this in a different tag maybe:
    "OK, i have MU blogs for many people, and we'd like to put in a hit counter on each. I grabbed the sitemeter.com that i found listed as a plugin with wordpress, but also am told i can use the one I signed up for called bravenet. Now each blog has its own theme that when created I pull the style.css into dreamweaver and put in the image name i want to use. so in knowing all this (if it is infact enough info, how or what do I edit for each different blog. whew.. hope this makes sense and thnx inadvance."

Thnx

2. podcastnyc
    Posted 16 years ago #

You description is a bit confusing. Are you asking in adding the image link to the CSS will work? It isn't clear whether you have tried the method you are mentioning. Also, do you want the hit counter to track every page on each site just the index page?

I'll confess that I probably don't have an exact answer as I've never done this before. But I might be able to give some guidance if I understand what steps you have taken to date.

3. memegan
    Posted 16 years ago #

I brought up the image changing, as per each style.css to see if there is where i would input the different trackers, as i do want to track each individuals blog. So I guess I'm asking what would I pull into my dreamweaver to put in the code for each tracker so that it only trackers that persons blog. hum? make more sense? lol sorry.

4. zappoman
    Posted 16 years ago #

Are you trying to provide stats to users, so that they can see who is accessing their blog? If so, there are a couple of different stats plugins for wpMU available.

Or are you are saying that as an Admin, you want to track stats across your MU install, and you want to see what traffic goes to what blogs? If so, then I don't know how to do this with sitemeter, but it is straight forward to do with Google Analytics. I would suggest that your question is more of a sitemeter config question.

And finally, I hope I don't offend by suggesting this final point... But I think you're asking a pretty deep technical question, which in the end will likely require some development and administrative skills on your part, so I don't think you're going to get very far if you feel that you can only make progress using Dreamweaver.

That being said, good luck in solving your problem.

5. podcastnyc
    Posted 16 years ago #

I think I know what you want. The CSS is not the place to put the tracking code. You would put the tracking script in the header.php (or footer.php) file for each template.

6. memegan
    Posted 16 years ago #

right podcastnyc, but i only see one footer and one header.. the only different thing i see for each blog is the style.css. hum maybe if i explained how i do each would that help you two understand more?

No offense taken zappo.. can u tell me more about these stats plugins for wpMU available? I did sign up for http://sitemeter.com,which was a plugin listed, but can not input the code they way they suggest as our theme changing option page doesnt allow for other themes, this way i can change the header image for each blog only. I think, honestly I'm willing to pay for help if anybodys willing to look into this with me. thnx

7. MrBrian
    Posted 16 years ago #

If you'd just like to provide traffic stats info to your bloggers, the firestats plugin is an all around solution that does not require editing themes. There are also google analytics plugins like zappo mentioned (if you've never heard of Google Analytics, google it). As far as integrating bravenet counters like you mentioned, doing that does not require editing the theme either because each bravenet user's code would be different. What you would have to do is write a widget plugin that lets your bloggers insert their bravenet code. I'm still not exactly sure what you're trying to accomplish, so be more specific if you are desperatly after an answer.

8. memegan
    Posted 16 years ago #

"What you would have to do is write a widget plugin that lets your bloggers insert their bravenet code." if this would allow them to sign onto their own bravenet account and see their blog stats this would be perfectly perfect. I want them to see their stats to encourage them to blog more. So, is there a tut on writing ur own widget? and ty all for your help on this.

9. podcastnyc
    Posted 16 years ago #

I recommend hiring someone to write a wordpress plugin that will automatically insert the bravenet code into each user's blog. Otherwise you will end up with a lot of work and potential for error when you manually insert the code into each user's blog.

10. memegan
    Posted 16 years ago #

ok, is there a forum I can post in for hiring someone for this? and ty again.

11. MrBrian
    Posted 16 years ago #

There isn't a forum for hiring people, no. There should be though :). Can you tell me why you're so set on using bravenet? It's not exactly known for being a traffic stats service I believe, they just provide simple counters.

12. memegan
    Posted 16 years ago #

well? what i like about it, is the ability to let them see how many people do actually come read their blog and it shows if they came back, or were a first time reader. Admittedly, i haven't looked into other trackers, can u recommend a better one? One that could easily be put into our individual blogs that are MU blogs. I can pay if you are willing to maybe get on a messenger program with me so I can explain more clearly what I'm needing and such?.. thnx again

13. MrBrian
    Posted 16 years ago #

I don't have tons of free time, but I could probably help you out. Lets just say bravenet really doesn't even make it into the top 10 of traffic analytics services in popularity or features. You can add me on se7en_11 [at] hotmail [dot] com and i'll point you to the most popular service (Google Analytics) and an easy plugin you can drop in that your bloggers can easily use.

14. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Get the sitemeter counter widget and tell your users to each sign up for an account there.

15. podcastnyc
    Posted 16 years ago #

If the users are going to have to sign up for a service in order to get stats then you might as well just use the WordPress.com stats plugin. Users can access the WordPress.com stats from the dashboard of their own blog and you don't get extra load on your server. I think this is a better option for you than Google Analytics because the WP Stats are simple enough for new users but provide enough information to tell you what people are doing on the site.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/stats/

16. MrBrian
    Posted 16 years ago #

Since that's made for the intent of regular wordpress, I wonder how automattic permits the plugin in a blog network environment such as WPMU. In other words, would they want API keys for each blogger, or could we just use 1 API Key and perhaps pay a fee like with akismet.

About this Topic