The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

1.3.3 Upgrade led to Switch in VHOST setting (9 posts)

1. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hello all,

I'm experiencing some odd problems after upgrading to 1.3.3 (yeah, I know, I'm a late adopter)

The odd characters in the database issue I can wrap my head around, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what is causing this VHOST hiccup.

Essentially blogs are now installing into subdirectories instead of subdomains. This despite the following settings in my wp-config:

define('VHOST', 'yes');
    $base = '/';

I've tried changing "yes" to "true" but all to no avail. I'm still getting these darn blogs in subdirectories.

I'm wondering whether the switch in my DNS entries pointing to my new VPS at media temple has caused the issue. But if it has, that's odd, because I wasn't having it immediately after the move, but closer to the upgrade.

Any help, as always, is much obliged.

2. Trent
    Posted 16 years ago #

That is really bizarre. I have a (ds) as well and haven't had any problems since all domains have the wildcard DNS entry, but maybe check over not only your Plesk DNS, but your accountcenter DNS as well to make sure the wildcard DNS entry is still there ;) My understanding is the accountcenter DNS entry will override what is in your Plesk.

Trent

3. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

Having never had to set this up myself (my previous host did all the heavy lifting with the wildcards setup) this is what I have found in plesk:

http://www.domain.com. CNAME domain.com.
    ns.domain.com. A 72.47.221.74
    domain.com. NS ns.domain.com.
    domain.com. A 72.47.221.74
    72.47.221.74 / 24 PTR domain.com.

Is this accurate or should it be changed?

4. Trent
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have an A entry for *.mydomain.com both in Plesk and the accountcenter myself, but it might be redundant, I am not sure. A quick call to MT and they can help in a hurry as well (since I like to break things and have called before myself) :)

Trent

5. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

I went into Plesk and added the A entry for *.mydomain.com, but went into account center and noticed it had my A entry already there.

What's concerning me about this is that when I log into my administration panel in the backend, under the Blogs menu, all of my older subdomain blogs (which still do point to subdomains) have a " / " in the Blog Name field. But all of the newer ones will have an entry like " /nameofblog/"

This leads me to believe there's a problem with the wpmu configuration and not the domain wildcard setup, since the older subdomain blogs still work. Though I could be wrong here.

What say you, kind sir?

6. Trent
    Posted 16 years ago #

I think you are right. Hopefully this will lead someone with more clues to prompt a reply suleiman. I would have to think more on that one myself, sorry.

Trent

7. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for your help Trent!

Anyone else care to take a chance at bat?

8. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

Problem's been fixed, just needed to set it to "yes" one more time apparently, and it works again.

Thanks for all your help trent!

9. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

hey, I was stumped myself. :) Glad to hear you got it worked out tho.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by suleiman
  • Latest reply from andrea_r