The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WordPress MU merged with WordPress 2.5 (55 posts)

1. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

SteveAtty - were you seeing the apostrophe problem on an upgraded blog or a new install?

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

I get a slash before the single quote within the blog title on the testbed with a new install downloaded direct from trac. This is done during blog creation from the Site Admin -> Blogs -> Create Blog form.

Editing the Blog name within Dashboard -> Options does fix the issue though.

Using changeset 1219 I believe.

3. SteveAtty
    Posted 14 years ago #

Totally new install as shown above ;)

Once I'd created it I could go into the title and edit the \ out so I guess its something in the initial insert.

4. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Another concern we're having is the Add Media links within the Write Post/Page editor. If one disallows the uploading of certain types of media, like video, you still get the icon for uploading that type of media and, when you click on the icon, the upload form.

May also want to upgrade the requirements as, if you run lighttpd as your webserver, version 1.5 is now required to make certain features work. (ie the multiple file uploader for example) Do also note that 1.5 is still in development and the current version is 1.4.9 so you may run into issues with that.

5. lunabyte
    Posted 14 years ago #

tdjcbe wrote: "ie the multiple file uploader for example"

That makes no sense whatsoever. I do multiples with apache all the time.

6. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 14 years ago #

lunabyte - I think he's talking about lighttpd, not Apache.

7. sadieko
    Posted 14 years ago #

I don't know if any one else has encountered this, but when I loaded it up onto my test domain, I noticed that I get signed out every time I switch between blogs via the dashboard switcher. Even when I select "remember me" during a login, I'll be signed out again the second I switch to another blog.

Otherwise, blog creation and posting works great.

8. chmac
    Posted 14 years ago #

sadieko, flying by the seat of my pants here, but did you set the secrets in wp-config ? I think the new login uses a much more secure cookie, so if you don't set this in wp-config, it will be different on every blog, hence you'd have to log in again. This is just guess work though, I haven't actually installed 2.5 or WPMU 2.5 merged yet. :)

9. copperblade
    Posted 14 years ago #

Yeah, I didn't really understand if those two secrets were supposed to be different or the same... on one hand, why require 2 secrets, on the other hand, if they're the same, why have 2 variables?

10. sadieko
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi chmac, THANK YOU that was it. This will teach me to test installs without completely reading the instructions.

11. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

lunabyte - I think he's talking about lighttpd, not Apache.

Yes, lighttpd not Apache.

12. Vimm
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm curious, has anyone thought about future versioning? Now that WPMU tracks WP's minor version, why not go all the way and track the major version too? This seems like a great opportunity to release "WPMU 2.5" and get them completely in sync.

13. deltakid
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm about to update three of my sites that run on wpmu. I'm already half way through the project and wrote a couple of plugins.

Is there any estimate when a stable wpmu with wp 2.5 could be released? A guess would be great because I don't want to develop everything for wpmu 2.3.3 if we can expect a new update in the next 4 weeks or so.

Does it make sense to maybe develop now on this merged version or can we expect major rewriting of the code?

Please let me know, I work on some funky plugins that many people will like (a nofollow switch for individual blogs for example)

14. chmac
    Posted 14 years ago #

@Vimm: I think keeping the version numbers different might be a good thing. It makes it obvious that WP and WPMU are completely different beasts. WP is packaged so the average tech literate user can easily install and customise a simple blog. WPMU requires a bit more investment (setting up wildcard virtual hosts, following trunk, etc, etc).

@deltakid: I'd recommend working against trunk. In my (fairly limited) experience of WPMU, releases are relatively infrequent and pretty ad-hoc. There's only one developer with commit access (donncha) and he's a pretty busy guy, so things happen when he has time.

15. deltakid
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks chmac, I decided to just continue writing all my plugins and to move ahead with 2.3.3

The major tweaks I do are an improved global categories plugin (I released a hack a year ago) and some more front end, formatting stuff so I hope the upgrade won't be too hard.

16. chmac
    Posted 14 years ago #

@deltakid: I've built and deployed a similar system which globalises the terms and term_taxonomy tables. A second plugin then copies all posts to one of the MU blogs, which becomes the blog for global categories and posts. Happy to collaborate if you like.

17. demonicume
    Posted 14 years ago #

i finally upgraded. but i'm not seeing the pretty new backend. i've checked and all the files are updated. anyone experiencing the same issue?

18. deltakid
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi chmac, thanks for the offer but im already pretty much done with the plugin and it works a bit different.

Mine creates a new database table for all posts and you can query this table for different things (such as specific categories or user)

Ohh and just saw your twitter, have fun at Songkran I live in Bangkok. :)

19. honewatson
    Posted 14 years ago #

demonicume, did you svn checkout from the trunk?

20. demonicume
    Posted 14 years ago #

yup. i screwed up. i'm all good now.

21. chmac
    Posted 14 years ago #

@deltakid: If you're in Bangkok we surely have to collaborate! :) I'd love to see your code and your strategy. It sounds like we've done the same thing, possibly different ways.

22. kmanrox
    Posted 14 years ago #

hey deltakid, im in bangkok too.. been here 6 years, hit me up! info at syncopeintl dot com.

:)

23. horrorshow
    Posted 14 years ago #

Anyone know approximately when the next release of WPMU will be? 1 month? 6 months?..

24. awarner20
    Posted 14 years ago #

@deltakid,

You mentioned above a categories plugin. Would you be able to make that available for download?

25. Trent
    Posted 14 years ago #

If I was a betting man the release will be this week or next, but I am not really privy to that information.

Trent

About this Topic