The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Moving wordpress Mu (6 posts)

1. SamZ
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi guys,
    I've recently moved hosts. I have taken backups of all the databases and files. How should I go about restoring these files so they can be like it was on my old host.

SamZ

2. SamZ
    Posted 16 years ago #

Bump. Somehelp :(

3. Trent
    Posted 16 years ago #

Just looking at your tags, I hope you don't have a subdomain.yourwpmu.com install as Bluehost doesn't have wildcard DNS and only works with yourwpmu.com/blogname

On a related note, it is not wise to run WPMU on shared hosting if you plan on growing the install much.

Back to your problem though, create a new database on the new host, import the tables from the old database. Upload all the files to the same directories they were on the old install and then change your wp-config.php to relate to the new database.

Trent

4. dgilmour
    Posted 16 years ago #

If your database backup is a MySQL dump file, it will contain all the MySQL commands needed to create the tables and populate them with your data. It's just a text file. What you need to do is create the database, just the same way you'll have done for your original install, and feed it those commands.

One way, if you've got command line access, is to use the MySQL monitor program. The source command tells it to use input from a file. Where your backup file is in your current working directory you'd use:

mysql> source mybackupfile.sql

phpMyadmin is another route.

Restoring the files should just be a matter of taking your backup file and extracting the contents back out again. Be careful to check the ownership and protection settings on the directory you put the files in or you can get odd errors.

If you've still got access to the old host directory structure it's a good idea to compare them.

Don't forget to go through the readme for your version and check that Apache, DNS, PHP settings are all correct.

5. SamZ
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yeah. I tried all that. But since I changed from .net to .com and it keeps going to the .net one. So how do I change it to goto the .com one?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Search and replace through the entire db to change it. you left that bit out of the initial post, so now you'll have to do those db edits offline and reimprt everything.

Or just go through all the individual db tables...

About this Topic