The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

what should the permissions be! (2 posts)

1. duncanshannon
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I see lots of posts with people having same problem i am... "Warning! File Permission Problem!"

Comments in the forum are telling people to fix the permisions... my question is:

- what should the perms be for the files and directories? I'd love to set them to what the should be.. but what should the be?

also, i see some pointers in the error message on what to fix, sorry but its not 100% clear if those are general pointers or specific things to fix and specific ways to fix it for my setup.

thanks

2. strixy
    Posted 18 years ago #

I can only speak for a linux server install

I set the ownership (chown) to the web servers user, eg...

chown -R www-data wpmu

eg. the command line screen looks like this...

strixy@fnpos:/var/www$ sudo chown -R www-data wpmu

and set the permissions

chmod -R 755 wpmu

where

wpmu = your install directory (top)

eg. /var/www/wpmu

yoru server root being www
    and you are not intending to run this from your document root(eg. domain.com/), but rather a testing page (domain.com/wpmu)

and where

www-data = your webservers username (it's www-data on Debian, Ubuntu, etc. It's "apache" - I believe - on RedHat and "www" on Slack. I know I'm probably wrong on the last one. 75% sure on the Red Hat one)

and assuming you have either used "su root" for root access or are prefacing the above commands with sudo

eg. sudo chmod -R 755 wpmu (debain, etc) from /var/www

eg. the command line screen looks like this...

strixy@fnpos:/var/www$ sudo chmod -R 755 wpmu

The '-R' is recursive, to include all files and folders beneath the target. (must be capitolized).

the 755 sets it to read/write for the owner and read only for the group/other.

You will have to adapt to your specific environment and needs, of course. YMMV

Helpful?

About this Topic

• Started 2025 years ago by duncanshannon
  • Latest reply from strixy