The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Can I define VPS to "NO" on an actual VPS? maybe an odd question. (9 posts)

1. italways
    Posted 14 years ago #

I moved my wpmu site from a shared host to VPS ( MT(dv) ), I changed the domain name as well, I found the site will get problem if I define VPS to "yes" in wp-config.php, but changed it to "NO" will be ok. I think that is because my site was migrated from a shared hosting.

I just wonder if I define VPS to "NO" on a actaul VPS hosting"

"define('VHOST', 'no');"

will it impact the performance of wpmu on my current VPS hosting? I mean this VPS is much more expensive than the previous shared hosting, if wpmu could not benifit from it maximally, that will be a big pity.

2. cafespain
    Posted 14 years ago #

VHOST doesn't mean VPS it means Virtual Host.
    If you switch it to NO, then aren't you switching off sub-domain capabilities and moving to blogs under a single domain name with directories?

Have you looked at Slicehost? I was considering MT(dv), but found I could get a higher spec VPS on slicehost for the same price or less.

3. italways
    Posted 14 years ago #

Thanks! cafespain

sorry I mistaked VHOST for VPS, I am clear now. thanks!

fortunately, my site is installed in subdirectories mode, so it is not a problem for me.

I will have a look at Slicehost, I am still in MT's "30 days money-back guarantee" period:)

4. cafespain
    Posted 14 years ago #

I've been playing with slicehost for just over a month now and will be using it for my initial site.

The advantages I see are price (you can get two VPS's - one for your webserver and one for your database for less than one MT(DV)) and the ability to install whichever web server you want (I've had Litespeed and Nginx running on it). MT seem to have Apache or nothing else, and on their lowest spec offering (256mb memory) that could be overkill.

The downside, so far for slicehost, is that you have to install everything from scratch yourself (though there are some excellent tutorials on their site to walk you through pretty much all of it) and the bandwidth allocated is nowhere near what MT is offering.

But I'd rather have a fast site and worry about bandwidth if it becomes popular.

Note: I am in no way associated with Slicehost, other than being a bit of a fan-boy at the moment :)

5. suleiman
    Posted 14 years ago #

cafespain,

I recently moved my site from Hostgator's shared services to a Mediatemple DV. When I found the baseline $50/month 256mb package wasn't making the cut, I was forced to double the ram and double the price and I thought of you. I had originally moved to MT when Hostgator shut me down, without notice, and began displaying their ads on my website. At the time all I could think of was moving the site to a reputable company that would never dare do such a thing. The first name that came to mind was MT's.

Thus far I've been extremely happy with MT support and services. I've found plenty of people use them on the web so getting getting eA and APC installed and configured to spec was a breeze. My site is growing however, and I'm currently pushing close to 350MB use out of my 512MB allotment. I looked at slicehost and did see they were offering a lot more bang for my buck. Frankly if I get close to the 512 limit I may just need to jump on the Slicehost bandwagon with you -- I certainly can't afford to pay $150 a month for my hobby.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

$150???

I'm paying $60/month for 768MB of RAM. Using a lot of that and only 10% of the 650GB bandwidth.

Although when I jump up to dedicated I think we're going with server beach. (futurehostign is a reseller of softlaer - serverbeach sells their own stuff)

Of cousre, with each of these options, There's less and less support. FH is not bad. I'd call it semi-managed.

Just tossing in my nickel.

7. awarner20
    Posted 14 years ago #

...and I'll add two cents...I went with SYN Hosting as recommended on WPMUDEV. Just entered a support ticket yesterday and it was answered and solved within a couple hours.

If I had to guess, I'd say someone involved with WPMU was behind SYN, but I have no proof of that;)

8. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

I believe they were given the chance to fool around with the software for a bit.

9. italways
    Posted 14 years ago #

I am a little surprised my "stupid" question leads to another hot topic in this thread ;)

About this Topic

• Started 14 years ago by italways
  • Latest reply from italways