The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

MU-Tags Plugin Weirdness (10 posts)

1. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

Believe me, I have been searching the forums for an answer and I think I have a new problem regarding the MU-Tags plugin found here:

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/MuTags

As suggested on the download page, I have installed version o.2b. I am using MU 1.5 RC1.

Here's what's happening...

I installed the plugin and then went to Site Admin-MU tags and did these two things first:

Import existing WordPress tags to taglist

Import existing WordPress categories to taglist

I had existing tags in both my Admin and a couple of user blogs.

I entered <?php mu_tag_cloud() ;?> into my Admin theme template where I wanted the tag cloud to appear. I also created a page with the slug of "tag".

I refreshed my Admin blog page and it seemed to be working as expected, however, upon looking closer it appears that it was only showing the tags from my Admin blog.

Isn't this supposed to display tags from ALL blogs on my MU install?

So, I decided to test further. I created a new post on my Admin blog, gave it some tags, and then hard refreshed (F5) my Admin page. No new tags showed up. So I went back into the Admin-MU Tags area and did this step:

Import existing WordPress tags to taglist

Still no new tags, so then I did this step:

Import existing WordPress categories to taglist

...and the new tags I entered in the new Admin blog showed up.

However, creating new posts on my test user blogs and following these steps did not bring in any user blog tags.

Am I only supposed to get tags from my Admin blog?

If so, am I supposed to have to "Import existing WordPress categories to taglist" every time I make a new post in the Admin blog in order to get the new tags to show?

Any experienced MU-Tags users advice would be greatly appreciated as using this on my front page would really be cool.

2. carnold
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have this exact same issue on my main blog. I have tried both the new version and the 02b version. Neither of these put tags in my tag cloud. I have talked with the author of the plugin about this and he basically said "sorry" but can not help. Did you get yours working awarner20?

3. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

@carnold,

Thanks for verifying the same issues. I hope that the plugin author, or someone here knows more about why this may be happening and what we can do to get it to work as expected.

I have not gotten it working yet, I am desperately hoping that an MU user with more advanced knowledge of this plugin will join this thread and set us straight...

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

I got it working. All I did was follow the instructions precisely.

5. mrhenry
    Posted 15 years ago #

awarner20: Did you really assign tags to your post or were they categories? Have you checked the "include categories in tag cloud" -option?

The problems that you're facing are quite hard for me to solve out, because I only have one system to test my plugin on, and on my setup it seems to work fine.

This won't help you, but there are also great examples of mutags in real action like this one: bloghost.cl

Edit: Thanks andrea for your encouraging post :)

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

No prob. :) I'd include a link but the client site is not live yet (and I still have work to do).

7. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

@ andrea_r

I know that sometimes people don't read the instructions fully, and sometimes when they do, they still make mistakes. Before posting I double-checked that I had followed all the instructions, precisely. However, it's still possible that I could be missing something. Your statement seems to imply that I am not following the instructions precisely. Do you know of something I'm missing?

@mrhenry,

Yes, these tags were assigned to posts. The tags assigned to posts on my Admin blog (main site) only show on the main page after submitting this from the MU-Tags Admin area......Import existing WordPress categories to taglist....I know it sounds strange that importing categories would have anything at all to do with tags on posts, but there it is.

I am trying many different things to see if I can create some different behavior, but so far the weirdness in my original post stands.

I would be happy to create a user on my main site for anyone who cares to look deeper into this....

...still testing...

8. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

No, I wasn't trying to imply anything other than what I stated. :)

Also, check to see if the blogs are public and add some more test posts with tags to see it if picks them up. I seem to think that it didn't catch posts & tags that were there before I installed it.

9. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

Update...

All test blogs are public. Added more test posts and also edited and re-saved existing posts and added new tags every time. Nothing worked.

However...

I globally deactivated all of the plugins that I currently have in the "plugins" folder and that allowed the MU-Tags plugin to work as expected. It is now displaying tags from both my Admin and all user blogs on my front page.

I will now be reactivating these plugins one by one to see which one is causing the conflict and will post back with further details...

10. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

I swear I'm not drunk or on any medications...

I have reactivated each plugin in the "plugins" folder on my Admin blog one by one. In between each activation, I went to two separate test user blogs and made new posts in each, and each post had newly created tags. Then I checked the main site to see if the new tags showed up. They did.

I repeated this process for eight separate plugins, expecting each new activation to be "the one" that disallowed the new post tags from displaying. Unfortunately, that never happened and I have no idea what was causing my original issues!

All I know is that things seem to be working now as expected. I will continue this thread if things go awry again...

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by awarner20
  • Latest reply from awarner20