The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

PHP4 vs PHP5 and WPMU (9 posts)

1. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

hi there,

I have been holding onto php 4 for quite a while, as PHP5 has been introduced a while back with Debian which is my Distro. I had been running PHP4 as apache module and offering PHP5 alongside as a CGI implementation...

Now I thought it was about time to make PHP5 default ad run it properly as an apache module.

As all sites hosted on my server are wordpress based + the main WPMU testing site, I was jsut curious about your experiences with PHP5.

Are there any probs with WP/WPMU itsself? Many incompatible plugins? What about theme?

Any hints are welcome.

2. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Go 5. 4 is no longer supported.

I've got Apache 2.2.8 and PHP 5.2.6 running live, and it's just fine.

3. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

5 is the way to go. Had zero problems so far, and now I've started to use php5 only code in my plugins because it makes life a lot easier.

4. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

ok, one not wpmu related remark:

the upgrade went smooth, I removed all php4 clutter, even did a reboot, as there was nothing critical running on that machine, but now I have the problem, that if I go to any wp dashboard, not wpmu dashboard, and write a new post or edit one, I can spike my servers load so high, nothing will work anymore until I close that edit tab or window. load spike can be seen here: http://www.web-designerz.de/serverstats/system/load.html

I now have to figure out if its plugin related or wp related. I really hope its just a plugin, so I can disable it.

Btw. all wordpress installs I have tested so far, have the same issues and all are 2.5.1

Just tested again, its not a plugin, but as soon as I click on add image, load spikes sky/high. Its just that uploader it seems to me that can bring my whole system to unresponsiveness.

I know this is not wp forums, just wanted to through that in ;-)

5. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 15 years ago #

I had a problem with PHP 5.2 - the gallery wouldn't work because there's a bug in parse_str() in that version. I reverted back to PHP4.

6. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

thank god for your answer donncha, at least I know its not me again :-)
    I am using PHP v5.2.0-8+etch11 which is the current release with Debian.

But just to make sure you got me right, I have these problems as soon as I click on the add picture button from the write new post interface, it takes about 5 minutes to open the upload interface and another 5 minutes if I dare click on the gallery tab and in the meantime my system load spikes sky high.

After clarifying this issue, do you still think its the same problem you are relating to?

Btw. it worked fine with version 4.4.8 and I am definitely not going back again but I can imagine waiting for a newer PHP version or switching to the unstable build of PHP5 until this gets fixed.

7. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Two separate Test environments:

Apache 2.2.8, PHP 5.2.6, MySQL 5.0.45, OS X Server 10.5.2

Apache 2.2.8, PHP 5.2.6, MySQL 5.0.45, Cent OS 5

Working just fine on this end, with 1.5.1.

8. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

any other hints? I found nothing by google so far...
    if I just open the upload popup the server goes crazy.

this does definitely not come from any plugins, have disabled all, issue still there...

@donncha: do you have any more links/hints about this problem? I would rather not want to downgrade after having jsut upgraded...

9. c2h5oh
    Posted 15 years ago #

Why don't you just compile PHP 5.2.6 on your own? Debian version contains quite a lot of things you don't need anyway.

About this Topic