The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Caching in 1.5 RC1 (9 posts)

1. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm playing around with a test site and the latest trunk version of 1.5RC1 and I can't see how to enable the built-in caching. The wp-config-sample.php file doesn't have the define('ENABLE_CACHE', true); line it, and if I add that line myself it doesn't seem to do anything. I deleted the wp-content/cache folder and recreated it with a 777 chmod. Is there something else I need to do to get caching working properly?

2. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

Object cache was removed in Wordpress 2.5 and hence, WPMU 1.5. I am wondering which plugins for object cache now will work with 1.5 myself for object cache.

Trent

3. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

I wasn't aware of that. Does that mean WPMU will have no built-in caching out of the box?

4. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

That is correct. Maybe for regular WP I could see it being used through a plugin, but in an MU environment (at least to me) it makes much more sense to make it function as it had through the core.

5. demonicume
    Posted 15 years ago #

with software that can support blogs numbered in the hundreds of thousands, cache would in the core.

6. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

I would think so, really.

Especially with a lot of the plugins out there. A single page could go from a few dozen queries being run every time to over a thousand, all in the blink of a plugin or two and object caching being turned off.

I can think of a few plugins off the top of my head like that. The sitewide feed, and a plugin for collapsible categories comes to mind. There's a lot more out there as well.

On a single install of WP, it really might not be that big of a deal. However, when you're talking hundreds, thousands, or tens of thousands of blogs reality has to set in that such basic caching should be core and not through a plugin.

At least that's what makes sense in my mind.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Agreed. should be core.

8. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes - in the core. Please.

9. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Stuck a ticket in trac, pointing to this thread.

Let the discussion continue.

About this Topic