The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Default Roles at Signup (67 posts)

1. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well if you don't use that one, user can actually visit direct URL to some of those menus that are hidden in the navigation. That plugin is not finished which means that you can add your own values (names of .php files you don't want people to be able to visit via direct URL).

2. scotm
    Posted 15 years ago #

Gotcha...good idea.

3. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

Actaully, Dsader is the one who provided these solutions. I just managed to put them all together... and it wasn't too easy cause I probably know about .php as much as you do.

So; "Thank You Mr. Dsader!".

:)

4. scotm
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well thank you Dsader then! Now if only I can get the remaining menu items hidden without causing the world to end.

5. scotm
    Posted 15 years ago #

@boonika - I've made some changes to the "hide-menu" plugin as delivered. I've managed to remove all of the sub-menus, but the "write" and "manage" menu titles remain and I can't get rid of them. Looking at menu.php it looks to me they are being controlled by "menu 10" and "menu 5".

If I include "menu 10" it has no effect on the Manage title while if I include "menu 5" in the plugin the new blog won't open and/or I get errors on the main site.

I'm very close here...Dsader are u out there?

Thx

6. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

@scotm

Listen, I'm at work right now but I'll check that latter... in next 10-12 hours. Keep on trying:)

7. scotm
    Posted 15 years ago #

@boonika

Stumbled across what appears to be a new plugin called Adminimize that basically does what we're doing. Testing it on another MU install I found it works great on the main blog (not desired), but does not transfer across other new blogs created while using Plugin Commander.

Perhaps I haven't mastered it yet, but something I did notice is the plugin won't allow you to turn off the "Write" and "Manage" menu items (but will allow for each sub-menu item to be turned off) which is where I find myself. Coincidence?

Thx

8. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ok, I'm checking it right now. Btw, why do You want to get rid of Write and Manage bars? Will your users be able to Write/Manage anything (posts, pages,...)?

9. scotm
    Posted 15 years ago #

@boonika - I am using Prologue theme, which enables posting from the site's main page. All I need is for users to have access to the dashboard where they can use the "write a post" link and they're off to the main page. So just dashboard and profile is all I'm wanting for new blog owners. I'm also treating blogs more like user accounts and so I don't want users having access to the backend.

10. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

guys, use the search. See what I found?

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=8482#post-50495

And I used the same thing a couple days ago.

11. scotm
    Posted 15 years ago #

@andrea_r: that's the solution we're using. i just haven't found a way to remove the final two menus (5 and 10) which assign the "write" and "manage" links in the menu.

12. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hm... still no luck. I tried few things but but without any result. I'm still new to php so all I can count on is my logic and it seems that it's not helping me right now:) Pray for dsader to see these posts... that's your only hope right now. But I wont quit on you. I'll let you know as soon as I find out something.

@andrea_r - thanks Andrea but I already posted that link here (few posts above):)

13. scotm
    Posted 15 years ago #

lol. i've tried a few variations myself and it blows up. clearly the 'write' and 'manage' menus are handled a bit differently as they're not included with the remaining groups. i appreciate your taking interest. i've scoured the forum for similar solutions but much of what i've uncovered has already been discussed. will press on...btw. our site can be found at sportstwit.com.

14. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

well I hope that some of my blabber actually worked for you. we'll keep on trying. nice site btw.

15. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

I used the same method to remove the Write menu. On a setup I'm working on, admins can only see the Manage and Users tab. That's it.

16. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Put this between php tags:

function remove_menu_item(){
    	global  $menu, $submenu;
    	if( !is_site_admin() ) {
    unset($menu[0]);
    unset($menu[5]);
    unset($menu[15]);
    unset($menu[20]);
    unset($menu[25]);
    unset($menu[30]);
    unset($submenu['edit.php'][12]);
    unset($submenu['edit.php'][15]);
    unset($submenu['edit.php'][30]);
    unset($submenu['edit.php'][35]);
    unset($submenu['edit.php'][40]);
    }
    }
    add_action('admin_menu', 'remove_menu_item');
  17. scotm
    Posted 15 years ago #

@andrea_r: so will the solution above leave me with simply "dashboard" and "profile"?

18. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

The above also has the Manage menu enabled. I suspect if your attempts above blew up somehow, you must've had a coding error.

So... try this...

'function remove_menu_item(){
    global $menu, $submenu;
    if( !is_site_admin() ) {
    unset($menu[5]);
    unset($menu[10]);
    unset($menu[15]);
    unset($menu[20]);
    unset($menu[25]);
    unset($menu[30]);
    unset($submenu['edit.php'][12]);
    unset($submenu['edit.php'][15]);
    unset($submenu['edit.php'][30]);
    unset($submenu['edit.php'][35]);
    unset($submenu['edit.php'][40]);
    }
    }
    add_action('admin_menu', 'remove_menu_item');`

Put the php tags around it, plunk the file in mu-plugins. That should remove exactly what you want. My previous example had the dashboard removed as well. (menu item 0 )

I can verify it works for me, so no, the Write menu isn't handled differently. :)

19. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

such a nice lady:)

20. scotm
    Posted 15 years ago #

@andrea_r: well i copied your file as suggested and i'm now left with more menus than before. i now have dashboard, write (and sub-menus), manage (and sub-menus), plugins and users.

wtf

21. scotm
    Posted 15 years ago #

@andrea_r: ok, so i realized after my last post that i have "lighter drop down menus" activated and figured it could be messing things up. my bad.

so i deactivated that plugin, and upon logging in i now go right to the dashboard. great. i have the username topleft that takes me nowhere when clicked (url/wp-admin), and top right i now have my username and logout. great.

on the next level to the right i still have 'plugins' and 'users'. I need to remove plugins, and what i need is not 'users' but for blog owners to go right their profile (found in the sub-menu).

i explained to boonika earlier that while we are giving users individual blogs, we want to keep their access to dashboard and profile and to prevent them from adding or managing users for their own blogs.

when completed, all of the blog posts will get pulled to the main blog anyhow.

clear as mud? :)

22. scotm
    Posted 15 years ago #

ok, i added menus 35 and 40, and plugins 5 and i now have one very clean dashboard. since i've already modified my wp-admin file (a necessary evil) i should have no problem hard-coding in a more pronounced link to the user profile page.

thanks so much to all of you who helped me along on this one.

cheers

23. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

Happy End(ing)

;)

24. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

W00t!

25. scotm
    Posted 15 years ago #

drat. thought i was done here, but wondering if anyone might know where the code for the top left tab on a new wpmu blog is controlled?

the tab displays the "blog title" and when clicked takes you to the dashboard(url/wp-admin). with my cleaned up dashboard, i need this to read "dashboard" versus "blog title" because once you click on the "profile" tab it's the only way back to the dashboard. confusing?

I could leave it as-is but it would be much less confusing for my users if it just reads "dashboard".

i've checked admin-header, index, but can't quite find it. any ideas?

26. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

I believe there is a plugin over on the main wp.org site that already covers this.

27. scotm
    Posted 15 years ago #

@lunabyte: r u speaking about dashboard editor? if so, that plugin works to remove the "right now" and "widget" areas but does not affect the wp-header or wp-footer areas.

check out a partial screenshot of my dashboard using a Dsader plugin (and friends) to hide the dashboard menus. still looking to remove the label in the top left corner that gets generated for new blog owners.

thx

28. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ah, that bit *is* MU-specific, because if you have more than one blog, it lines up the rest of them (the titles and links) next to that tag.

29. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

No, that wasn't the plugin I was referring to.

I remember seeing it though. Google for dashboard link plugin, and see what you come up with.

30. scotm
    Posted 15 years ago #

no luck...yet

About this Topic