The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

SECRET (7 posts)

1. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

Can someone post detailed instructions on how to enter SECRET_KEY and SECRET_SALT?

Thanks

2. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

It explains how to do it in the wp-config.php file that's included with 1.5.1 :

// Change SECRET_KEY to a unique phrase.  You won't have to remember it later,
    // so make it long and complicated.  You can visit http://api.wordpress.org/secret-key/1.0/
    // to get a secret key generated for you, or just make something up.
    define('SECRET_KEY', 'put your unique phrase here'); // Change this to a unique phrase.
    define('SECRET_SALT', 'put your unique phrase here'); // Change this to a unique phrase.

Also, if you don't enter these values, the first time you visit your admin dashboard, it will give you the values to enter.

3. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

Haven't seen them there. Also, the last time I entered values (1.5 RC1) I was not able to use my site properly so I was forced to to delete whole installation (+ dropped db tables).

4. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

Sorry - you should look at the wp-config-sample.php file that's included in 1.5.1

5. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

No, I meant I didn't found any values when I visited Dashboard. Thanks anyway;)

6. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

They're not on the dashboard. They used internally. If they were visable, it would make them worthless as they could be used to reverse the md5 hashes of your passwords.

7. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

@tdjcbe - if you haven't configured the secret, then the dashboard prompts you with some values that you can enter into wp-config.php.

About this Topic